Is Atheism a Form of Blind Faith?

by passwordprotected 232 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I'm an avid non-skater. It's my favorite hobby.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

Yes. I have never seen a shred of evidence that would support the atheist claim "there is no God"

Oh but there is, it rests in the acknowledged preconception of the human imagination.

• besty
    besty

Occams Razor answers the question for me.

BTW my hobby is not collecting stamps.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Now that I think about it, this whole discussion is stupid. It's not about facts, it's not about evidence, it's a theist's game of pretending that atheists are on their level. "Your belief in (something else) is as ignorant and blind as our belief is!" Well, we're not on the same level - atheists that rely on scientific understandings at least have hard facts, solid evidence, and years of laorious study and testing. It's not easy, it's not simple. And it really is on a whole different level than 'faith'.

Science is not blind - the light truly does get brighter. Science can give us a good picture of where we came from, how things work, and make some sobering predictions about our possible futures - some good, some bad. These predictions are not perfect, they are not absolute, and sometimes they put upon us the personal responsibility to make changes.

The bible on the other hand stays the same. Its light does not get brighter. It speaks of "firmament", tall trees sprouting from the center of the earth, dragons, 7-headed beasts, and 7-layer composite statues. I'm afraid creationists are alone in the 'blind faith' department.

- Lime

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

There is Proof of Leprechauns..

I caught one!..

He promised me 3 Wish`s if I let him go..

I wished for a Magic Beer Mug that was alway full of Beer..

Everytime I emptyed the Beer Mug..

it would Magicly fill right back up with Beer!!

The Leprechaun got tired of me drinking beer..

And..

Watching the Magic Beer Mug,Refill..

He wanted me to hurry up and make my next 2 Wish`s..

Hammer HeadSo I wished for 2 more Magic Beer mugs!Hammer Head

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

"A fourth dimensional purple unicorn appeared out of nowhere and stole my car keys. I will not provide any empirical evidence to support my claim.

If you don't accept my claim, are you doing so out of "blind faith"?"

I say that you're talking rubbish, there is no such purple unicorn and I'm not going to provide any "empirical evidence" (as I haven't experienced your purple unicorn in my life) to support my claim.

If I don't accept your claim it's because I choose not to believe your personal experience.

• villabolo
    villabolo

Perry:

"Yes. I have never seen a shred of evidence that would support the atheist claim "there is no God". Think about it, what kind of evidence could they present? "I've looked everywhere for Him and couldn't find Him" ...that's it. No one has ever done that."

The burden of proof is on you.

Scientists are beginning to suspect that there is a Multiverse, a Universe of universes from which our own popped out. You can think of our universe as a bubble in a foam of eternal beer.No, I'm not kidding.

villabolo

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

@ Farkel - "How can non-faith be a "faith?" The whole idea is ridiculous. It's as dumb as saying atheism is a "religion": non-belief is a "belief."

Absurd"

You may wish to re-read this.

@ besty - where is the empirical evidence that not believing in God, based on all of the available evidence (ie. the same evidence used to say that he does exist), is the simpler option?

----

If there's not evidence that God doesn't exist, believing it to be so requires faith.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

"The burden of proof is on you.

Scientists are beginning to suspect that there is a Multiverse, a Universe of universes from which our own popped out. You can think of our universe as a bubble in a foam of eternal beer.No, I'm not kidding.

villabolo"

Why is the burden of proof on us? Prove that God doesn't exist/prove that he does exist. Face it; faith is required whatever side you fall down on.

• Farkel
    Farkel

passwordprotected,

:If there's not evidence that God doesn't exist, believing it to be so requires faith.

The burden of proof is ALWAYS on the one making the claim. ALWAYS.

One cannot disprove a negative: "I believe God exists. Prove me wrong." No! The believer makes the claim. The believer has the burden of proof for the claim. That is similar to a courtroom trial. The prosecution makes a claim. They must prove it. The defense has no obligation to "prove" innocence in order to be found not guilty. "Not guilty" in a trial means "the prosecution couldn't prove its claim." It doesn't necessarily mean the defendant is innocent.

Atheists make no claim about the existence of God except to dispute the claim of the believers for lack of proof. It is a NON-assertion, not an assertion, and your contorted reasoning doesn't change that fact.

If you say there are invisible purpose unicorns and I say there aren't invisible purple unicorns, I don't have to prove squat. YOU have to prove there are invisible purple unicorns. Period. To say that I have "faith" that there aren't invisible purple unicorns is just plain dumb.

All this doesn't mean God doesn't exist. It means it cannot be proven that God exists. There is no need to "prove" God doesn't exist, since the ones making the claim that God does exist can't offer proof of their claim.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit