Bethel Doctor--Is it me, or was this odd??

by Sherri 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• Sherri
    Sherri

I was at Bethel with my now ex-husband in early 1982. At that time, they did a TB test as part of the physical when you started. Mine came out positive for exposure (though I did not and have never had TB), probably because I had worked as a receptionist in a hospital X-ray department.

The weird bit is that the Bethel doctor insisted on giving me a gynacological exam. As I was only 22 at the time, and butt-stupid, I went ahead and let him. It was all above board, nurse was there, etc. It just strikes me as odd that a positive TB skin test would dictate such an exam. A chest X-ray would make more sense. Maybe he didn't get too many chances to practice on girls.

This incident came to mind when I was reading about how some Bethelites who were injured or ill were treated.

Reach out! Take a chance! Get hurt, even. But play as well as you can. Go team, go! Give me an 'L.' Give me an 'I.' Give me a 'V.' Give me an 'E.' L-I-V-E. LIVE! Otherwise, you'll have nothing to talk about in the locker room.--Maude (Harold and Maude)

• cellomould
    cellomould

what would be even more odd is if that were standard procedure.

i was examined 'down there' by two female doctors recently. For me, that was more comfortable than having a male doctor, and I'm a guy.

So perhaps I can relate after all

cellomould

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

• celebrate
    celebrate

Yes, it was actually more than odd, it was a quick way to get a look and a feel! TB is in your lungs, it never spreads to the vaginal area! Age gives us may things, wisdom being one of them!

celebrate

• mommy
    mommy

Sherri,
    Welcome to the board That is indeed strange, and I am suprised that he did not do a chest x ray, I hope you have gotten one regularly since then? The only thing I can think of is that he did it to test for any STD's. TB is a communicable disease, and so are STD's, if you are found with one communicable disease a doctor may suggest that you be tested for all. But, I must tell you that this is highly unlikely for a doctor to jump from lung to ummm, down there

This has me thinking though, how many times he actually performed a gyn exam. Any good doctor will tell you that this is not a common procedure for all doctors, and many will suggest you go to an expert to have it done. So perhaps he was doing it to keep up with his practice?
    wendy

• oscartheduck
    oscartheduck

Without meaning to be insensitive, doesn't it seem like the general opinion is starting to sway towards the "Bethel is full of young, single, horny men" opinion?

============================
    The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126 "As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible "

• JT
    JT

oscartheduck says:

doesn't it seem like the general opinion is starting to sway towards the "Bethel is full of young, single, horny men" opinion?
    --------

that is NOT AN OPINION that is A FACT-

YOUNG SINGLE GUYS BETWEEN 19-30 who are suppressing their nature sex drive due to not wanting to leave bethel and go on the "Outside" is sad

i know guys at Bethel who want to tear up some "Coochie" so bad it hurts- but they have decided to remain single so that they can live off the Rank and file-

any many of these guys have sisters waiting in the wings to marry

esp when you consider the ratio of bro to sisters

I know this one old white bro some of you may know him- he use to be a missionary up in Alaska his name and life story of how they lived on a sailboat up there in Alaska was John Erriketa( something like that) this bro was "WHITE AS A SHEET" from the years of being up there in Alaska is what i was told

Anyway we ask him how he stayed single all those years and his words were and i quote"

"You have to Slam "IT" in the window ever now and then"

when he told us( a group of single guys) we thought is was the funniest thing we have ever heard

but looking back now i see just how sick it was( not the slamming in the window part) OK OK i was joking-

but the fact that the System made him give up opportunities to marry probably some wonder women that he had met over the years who would have provided him with companionship both sexually and emotionally as man- instead he no longer had a wrong mate, but lived by himself in a single man's room

so sad

ket

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I find it odd that so many would doubt that the good doctor could discern the condition of the lungs while gazing into the vagina, under the direction of the holy spirit.

O ye of little gullibility!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

If he had smoked a cigarette afterward, now that would be odd!

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

They have doctors in Bethel??!?!?!??!!?

When did this happen? I thought that the end was coming.

Slipnslidemaster:"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is."
    - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

• Latte
    Latte

Hey Slip,

Of course there are doctors at bethel........Ummm well, unless they have seen the light....and left of course! (lol)

The June KM has an article which made a request for bethel applicants, the request was aimed at architects, doctors, dentists etc. Of course YOU mustn't get an education the apply though!

LOL LOL......and SAD too.....

Latte

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit