IRAN-Deja vu all over again?

by JWdaughter 318 Replies latest social current

• Leprechaun
    Leprechaun

I think the US could really kick major Ying Yang with out much effort if they simply let the big Hell Hounds do what they need to do.

• JeffT
    JeffT

People keep bringing up the holocaust because he keeps talking about it.

The Palestinian refugee problem exists because it suits the purposes of too many people. The aftermath of WWII and the partition of India, which occured at about the same time as the creation of Israel, each resulted in as many or more refugees than the creation of Israel. We don't hear about those refugee problems any more.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I'm only joking about Obama surrendering.

Really? It always helps to surrender ahead of time, y'know. Especially when you've got a deer in the headlights look and seem to be desperately grasping for words between the "uhms".

Besides, we all know it's very, very bad to win. It makes the loser feel bad. We don't like competitive games. Everyone gets a prize, because everyone is special in their own special way.

And what do we hate worse than winning? Hitting! That's the worst thing of all, and that's why we always use our words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD6nMxYcmjE

• Farkel
    Farkel

libh,

:Farkel we do need to be careful about how far we go back into the past.

The trail from the "past" is an unbroken chain that leads right up to today, in case you forgot.

Those that don't learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.

You wouldn't happen to be a fan of Neville Chamberlain or Joseph Kennedy, would you?

Farkel

• llbh
    llbh

Farkel, i am not for appeasement in any way, what i think is needed is a way forward, as has happened in Northern Ireland. I grew up during the seventies when the IRA were regularly bombing London, ( I live just North of there) now Ireland has peace, and the IRA no longer bomb there, this was unthinkable for years.

We do well to learn the past but not to dwell in it, solutions should be found for the future. Obama does seem to grasp this, he has a hinterland outside of The USA.

The reason that Iran does not have enough refining capacity i am given to understand. is because of the technologies and skills needed

, that Iran does not have enough of.

Regards David

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I suspect that Israel has to decide between unloading a full SSBN missile on Iran's facilities and be condemned for committing genocide (the real thing, for once) or going on a route that minimizes civilian casualties. The other alternative is to do nothing, this seems to be suicide. Of course, the conventional non-nuclear route would be followed by Iranian missile strikes on Israeli population centers and the Saudi oil fields, and a probable generalized Middle East War, if not outright WWIII. Of course, this would pay back the world with a big eff-you because letting Iran strike the oil fields and close the Straits of Hormuz would lead the world to suffer $400 oil. Whatever Israel does, it will likely be without help from the USA, since Obama has proved himself to be either malevolent or incompetent, or both.

• Farkel
    Farkel

libh,

I understand your point that some of the past should be put behind us, but only if the past STAYS that way and isn't still being repeated in the present. Unfortunately, in the case of Arab terrorism, it is being repeated and has been repeated since Mohammed founded his Cult 1,500 years ago.

Therefore, it is still critical that the USA speak softly and carry a big stick per Teddy Roosevelt.

By the way, I'm as happy as you are that terrorism in Ireland is pretty much gone.

:Obama does seem to grasp this, he has a hinterland outside of The USA.

No. His hinterland IS the USA. I'm afraid he's more interested in being "international" than in being American and that really scares me.

"Hinterland" was borrowed from German where it means literally the land behind (a city, a port or similar) "

Farkel

• llbh
    llbh

In using the word hinterland i was alluding to his time in Indonesia, the most populace Muslim country, plus his time in Hawaii, and his Kenyan family. Thank you for the lesson in English, i so love etymology, or is it entomology, i am like you a philologist?

The USA does have a big stick, being the most powerful country in the both militarily and economically by far, it does need to measured in its use.

As Churchill said " jaw jaw is better than war war". To me Islam has many empirical flaws, we need to win the battles on an intellectual level too.

David

• beksbks
    beksbks

Burn we have known about this site for several years. The current administration is now addressing it. I suspect it's because the hope that Ahmadinejad would "lose" the election did not happen.

Farkel, my point on respect earlier was exactly that we need to remember the "speak softly" aspect as well as the "carry a big stick". Setting up puppet governments, and supporting heinous ones, only come back to bite us in the ass a few years later. We are facing this today in Afghanistan. You would think we would begin to learn. I believe with Obama we are.

• Farkel
    Farkel

beks,

:Setting up puppet governments, and supporting heinous ones, only come back to bite us in the ass a few years later. We are facing this today in Afghanistan. You would think we would begin to learn. I believe with Obama we are.

With regards to Afghanistan what I have to say now has nothing much to do with Obama. Bush was the idiot-to-end-all-idiots here. If we had just gone into Afghanistan to find bin Laden, that would have been one thing. And if we are still there just so we can find bin Laden that would have been one thing.

But to go into Afghanistan with the utterly idiotic idea that we can somehow "change" it and make it into some sort of "democracy" is quite another. We have a chance between slim and none to successfully "nation build" Iraq. We don't have any chance at all to do the same for Afghanistan. Five thousand or more years of history of Afghanistan tells us why.

I really hope I'm wrong here, but I don't think so.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit