IRAN-Deja vu all over again?

by JWdaughter 318 Replies latest social current

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I watched his interview with Larry King and first and foremost, I thought he was the ultimate in politicians....wary, quick, sly and really good at never answering a question directly. On the flip side, I found him to be pretty smart as he tried to use some sort of reasoning to flip the questions by the interviewer into a question back to the US in the form of hypocrisy.

When asked about the famous 'holocaust' question, I thought it was interesting that he answered - why is the west so focused on that one question and answer when there are many issues today much more relevant and without answering that question, went on to parallel the fact that the Palestinians were forced to evacuate their homeland in order for the west to create a country for the Jewish people. He basically was saying that we like to focus on the holocaust of the 1940's but like to ignore the 'holocaust' of forced evacuation of a whole people and the ramifications that has had on those people.

When asked about the people put in jail in Iran and how bad it was - he countered with the fact that the USA imprisons more people than the rest of the world. Then when asked about the violence after his election results, he again countered with the violence in this country against the G20 protesters etc.

I found it very interesting the method of his approach.

I do think there is some posturing on his part about nuclear capability but on the other hand, I also think it is a dangerous situation if the ability is there - without the 130,000 extra troops needed to sustain Afghanistan, how could we possibly engage in another battle in Iran with such a depleted military? Sometimes it feels like these wars are going on forever and we aren't accomplishing anything but destruction in our own country as things keep crashing....it does feel like deja-vu but if it is, I believe that Israel will do the job for us...I think...swife.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

bttt

The Sunday news shows are full of Iran talk.

• designs
    designs

Its all about money, politics and who gets to rule the world.

A good read- 'The Bright Shining Lie'

• beksbks
    beksbks
    it does feel like deja-vu but if it is, I believe that Israel will do the job for us...I think...swife.

Isn't our involvement about Israel in the first place?

• beksbks
    beksbks

designs, I pulled this out of the synopsis section of Wikipedia's entry on "A Bright Shining Lie". Seems relevant.

He was an ardent critic of how the war was fought, both on the part of the Saigon regime, which he viewed as corrupt and incompetent, and, as time went by, increasingly, on the part of the U.S. military. In particular, he was critical of the U.S. military command, especially under William Westmoreland, and their inability to adapt to the fact that they were facing a popular guerrilla movement while backing a corrupt regime. He argued that many of the tactics employed (for example the strategic hamlet relocation) further alienated the population and thus were counterproductive to U.S. objectives.
  • llbh
    llbh

Farkel we do need to be careful about how far we go back into the past. We in The UK have wide experience of terrorism, now mercifully past. Much of the money that fuelled the terrorists of Northern Ireland in the 70's came from the US.

Look at Iran's neighbours like Russia, hardly the most stable nation. Nuclear weapons per se are awful, and as i said Obama does seem to get this.

David

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Isn't our involvement about Israel in the first place?

Israel is one factor.

It's also about the oil in the region. (How many boots have we put on the ground in Darfur?)

Iraq sits on top of 1/3 of the world's oil. A nuclear Iran could easily translate into an Iran with designs on its neighbors' wealth.

• llbh
    llbh

Iran has its own oil, and has the second largest reserves of gas in the world ( after Russia). What Iran needs is expertise and investment, hence sanctions, Iran even imports petrol as it does not have enough refining capacity.

David

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Iran has its own oil

The West doesn't want another nuclear Islamic country anywhere near the oil fields of Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Iraq.

What you say about the sanctions is true. You'd think that Iran would have wanted to build a refinery. Must not be that simple.

• leavingwt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit