IRAN-Deja vu all over again?

by JWdaughter 318 Replies latest social current

• llbh
    llbh

As i believe you are a former JW , you are well acquainted with the siege mentality, it is the way a regime and or religion uses in controlling people, by saying "we are right, and therefore any attacks on it are wrong, therefore the more you attack us the more we are shown to be correct"

If the Bin laden family are being sheltered by the current regime it will increase the isolation of this odious regime and hasten its demise.

BTW Obama does not need to increase sanctions against Iran to hinder oil production, they can not refine enough oil into petrol even now.

David

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

lalliv01,

Yes, Iran and the Muslim's DO want an Armageddon, or whatever they want to call it. Remember, when you have nothing to lose, the fight gets easier. These people win either way.....

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Iran Rules Out Senator Kerry's Visit

A senior Iranian lawmaker says Tehran does not take rumors of US Senator John Kerry's proposed visit to Tehran seriously.

The American bimonthly, Foreign Policy magazine on Friday reported that Kerry had "offered" to travel to the Iranian capital to broker "a last-ditch agreement" with Tehran over its nuclear program.

"American senators have time and again wanted to visit Tehran or to negotiate with members of the parliament," Iranian MP Alaeddin Boroujerdi said.

"Their policy with regards to Iran, especially during [Barack] Obama's term … has not changed at all," he added.

This attitude "has left Iran with no reason to believe in negotiations," the lawmaker continued.

. . .

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=114410§ionid=351020101

• llbh
    llbh

And what is your point LWT??

Obama is totally and utterly different from the dolt Bush and his coterie of advisers, this, as I have said before will worry the regime in Tehran. If you have been following the points that I have been making you will see the potential for regime change.

David

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    And what is your point LWT??

David,

I didn't have a point. I was posting this new update, as I'm following the story. I've enjoyed your insights on this matter.

I think the U.S. is going to allow Iran to develop a nuclear weapon, just as they allowed North Korea to develop one. Just a guess.

-LWT

• leavingwt
  • llbh
    llbh

Thank you for your posts and stimulating an interesting debate.

I think Iran will be mad to even get close to developing any nuclear weapons, Israel will act before ever that happens imo. The Iranian government has, as been said before, is going to use this as a tool to extract concessions from the west, and to play to its own domestic audience

David

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

I have the impression that Iran will try to create nuclear arms with the program that they are undertaking.

They've already showed attempts to hide one plant from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, so its plain to see they

have the potential to hide even more in the future. But in all seriousness I doubt very much that they would try and use these weapons on

any surrounding country like Israel, for they know well that the US and allied forces would be on them big time quickly.

The Iranian president is stupid in a George Bush sort of way but I doubt if he's that stupid.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

From today's NY Times. . .

Hard-Line Rise Alters View of Iran’s Nuclear Ambition

Until Iran’s current political crisis, Iranian experts largely agreed that the Islamic republic wanted to develop the capacity to build nuclear weapons, without actually producing them.

Now, not everyone is so sure.

The main reason for the shift in thinking is the rise of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps as the most powerful decision-making bloc in the country. But the change is also a result of the political struggle among the elite, which has upended previous assessments about Iran’s decision-making process, silenced more pragmatic voices and made it nearly impossible for anyone to support nuclear cooperation without being accused of capitulating to the West.

This move toward a harder line has stymied President Obama’s attempts to open a new channel of communication with the Iranian leadership. And now, having set a year-end deadline for Iran to cooperate, the United States and its Western allies seem likely to seek to impose tougher sanctions on Iran, a step that some analysts fear could enable the more radical forces to monopolize power, at least in the short term.

“A Revolutionary Guards-dominated state that we have witnessed since the presidential election has proven to be a lot less prudent, and a whole lot more violent, than what was the ordinary behavior of the Islamic Republic of Iran before,” said Rasool Nafisi, an Iran researcher in Virginia who co-wrote a report on the Revolutionary Guards for the RAND Corporation. “One should calculate the impact of such a state on nuclear development with more caution.”

That is not to say that Iran is necessarily preparing to drop out of the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty or to make a bomb and declare itself a nuclear weapons state, the way North Korea did. But Iranians who support full-on confrontation with the West have the upper hand in the country’s public debate and decision making at the moment, Iran experts and European diplomats said.

. . .

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/25/world/middleeast/25iran.html?_r=1&hp=&pagewanted=print

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Deaths Reported Amid Chaos and Violence in Iran

The Iranian capital erupted in massive and fiery morning-to-dusk protests today as tens of thousands of demonstrators clashed with security forces on the occasion of an important Shiite Muslim holiday.

Several witnesses told The Times that Iranian security forces opened fire with live ammunition against unarmed protesters near College Bridge in in the capital. And opposition news websites reported that several protesters had been killed, including Ali Mousavi, the adult nephew of opposition figurehead Mir-Hossein Mousavi.

Reformist websites said he was shot and taken to a Tehran hospital, where his uncle and other relatives soon arrived.

The information could not be independently confirmed, and a police source denied that protesters had been killed in a comment to the pro-government Fars News Agency.

But a witness in front of City Theater in downtown Tehran said she saw a fallen man, apparently stabbed in the back, and spotted another man falling to the ground after a volley of shots was fired near Enghelab Street, which emerged as the epicenter of the day's clashes.

The reports of deaths came during a harrowing day of multiple, rolling clashes between police and Iranian protesters coinciding with an important Ashura religious commemoration as well as the significant seventh day of mourning following the death of the country's leading dissident cleric, Ayatollah Hossein Ali Montazeri.

. . .

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-and-world/la-fg-iran-protests28-2009dec28,0,3198771.story

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit