IRAN-Deja vu all over again?

by JWdaughter 318 Replies latest social current

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

LA Times: Axelrod Fudges Dec. 31 Deadline on Iran for Nukes

. . .

Despite numerous Obama overtures -- from his inviting Iranian diplomats to July 4 embassy parties to delaying and hedging the White House denunciation of Iran's deadly crackdown on democracy protesters earlier this year -- Ahmadinejad has shown no signs of compliance or interest. Indeed, Iran mocked Obama's greetings message on that country's recent religious holiday.

Obama has long proclaimed a Dec. 31 deadline for cooperation or retaliation of some unspecified kind. But Iran and, before it, Iraq under Saddam Hussein, has confidently counted on years of international dithering on enforcing printed sanctions.

So naturally on ABC's "This Week" this week, George Stephanopoulos asked Obama adviser and ex-newspaper reporter David Axelrod about the approaching Obama deadline.

Axelrod started to say something about talking but checked himself and spoke instead of "consequences."

But, as often occurs in diplomatic-speak -- and politics-speak too, come to think of it -- it's what you don't say that's often more important than what you do utter.

Axelrod declined to reiterate the Dec. 31 date.

. . .

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2009/12/obamas-iran-nuclear-weapons-david-axelrod.html

• llbh
    llbh

The US would be far wiser to encourage the moderate elements in Iran. This would be in everyone's interest, except the Ayatollahs

http://mashable.com/2009/06/21/neda/

This a very powerful example of a young woman's protest against the Iranian regime; she paid the ultimate price.

There is a vast ground swell of people who want something approaching western values, the most potent weapon the west has is the example it sets showing how a democracy benefits its citizens. This where media like the Internet is are powerful instruments in enabling this change.

The bellicose comments of folks like the BTS show a total lack understanding of Iran.

David

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

Now that Obama is Pres, we should go into Iran because he isn't a cowboy and everyone will know that have good intentions because Obama is not a fundalmentalist hater. Then, we would control everything from Saudi Arabia to Pakistan.

• llbh
    llbh

I'll assume you are being sarcastic mad Dawg.

David

• llbh
    llbh

Another potent example of what i mean

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iran/6857034/Mourners-shout-anti-regime-slogans-as-clashes-mar-Ayatollah-Montazeris-funeral.html

This is the funeral of a widely respected senior cleric who was once at the heart of the Iranian regime, then opposed its human rights abuses. At his funeral there was another outpouring of opposition to the current setup.

I spoke to my friend today who is Iranian, there is widespread disappointment within Iran in the current leadership, invasion though will not work even if contemplated, and would be hugely detrimental for all concerned.

David

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Hopefully, folks won't call the President a cowboy.

Obama Administration Preparing Iranian Sanctions Outside of UN Security Council, Just In Case

. . .

With Iran seemingly rejecting the end-of-year deadline for making diplomatic progress with the West, and the Chinese government continuing to voice opposition to imposing additional sanctions in the United Nations Security Council against the rogue regime, the Obama administration has been preparing other possible additional ways of sanctioning Iran for its pursuit of nuclear weapons, ABC News has learned.

For months, officials of the Obama administration have been assiduously lobbying the leaders of other nations to join the U.S. on a bilateral or multilateral level in possibly imposing various new sanctions on, say, Iran's financial sector, or its petroleum sector, outside the auspices of the United Nations Security Council.

Officials cautioned that the official decision to pursue sanctions has not yet been made, that sanction efforts outside the UN would be several months away, and that emphasizing them revealed a far more pessimistic view of developments than they currently hold.

. . .

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/12/obama-administration-preparing-iranian-sanctions-outside-of-un-security-council-just-in-case.html

• BurnTheShips
  • llbh
    llbh

And your point - if any is BTS?? Are you agreeing or disagreeing, with me on any the points I have made??

The siege mentality that people like you are trying to perpetuate make the incumbent regime stronger not weaker.

Have you seen the anti regime protests in Isfahan today? A friend of mine left there 30 years ago, and has relatives there even now, they desire change, the reaction of the west and in particular is crucial.

We do well to remember to that only in the last 50 years all have citizens of the US been enfranchised.

David

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I am not perpetuating a "siege mentality", whatever that means. I just think it is very nice of Iran to help Bin Laden's family out. Very generous of them.

BTS

• beksbks
    beksbks
    I just think it is very nice of Iran to help Bin Laden's family out. Very generous of them.
    BTS

Not quite as nice as the Bush's were after 9/11 though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit