How Did You Handle Sitting At The Meetings?

by minimus 50 Replies latest jw friends

• dissed
    dissed

I had back problems and couldn't sit long, so stood at the back most of the time.

Saw everything. Who came late, left early, met new ones, vistors passing through, irate non-JW husbands, sisters crying as they came back??

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Speaking of elders being so busy at the KH to be bored sitting down, there have been a few talks over the years regarding mothers. I've heard many a time a brother from the stage berate mothers, saying in most cases they choose to have children so they don't have to sit and pay attention at the meeting. How rude! Forget the fact that most KH's now have a 'parents room', which caters to moms and dads caring for kids, but also that there's usually a switch you can turn on to listen to the talks. They implied that while the mother is up and about with the child, she's not listening to instruction and having fun. Whatever!

As for me, I used to listen intently, take lots of notes. Once I had kids, that went out the window...lol. Not by choice but because it's a very busy time being a mom, at the KH or not. I had no time to look up every scripture mentioned, or take down notes. Nowadays I sit there like a zombie. Nothing goes in. I mostly can't help but silently huff and puff at certain comments from the stage. I don't mean to be disrespectful, I just don't tolerate ignorance very well.

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

The Sunday meeting is much shorter these days. Goes for about an hour and a half now. Still hard to sit through though...LOL!

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

Isn't obvious... this religion makes people crazy!

• minimus
    minimus

Some parents used their kids to never pay attention at the meetings.

• yknot
    yknot

Just thought I would pop in and share this morning's routine.....

Set down in the DFd section because I was feeling mischievious and passed out copies of today's PT outline and some mocked up critique forms for laughs and 'encouragement' of those who have been denied reinstatement recently.

I then noticed Bro. ExStepdad and Sister Adulterous Slut decided to grace us with an appearance ...... spent the next 38 minutes texting to my DFd sister who was at another KH.

I decided to 'help' a recently DFd new mother with her baby out in the parking lot and missed much of the WT but had a grand time showing her some options for education, college housing, and child care options for the betterment of her and her child's life!

I spent the rest of the WT study quietly writing JWN's addy and commentary in the WTs and Awakes I am suppose to place this week....( I usually just place them on the lip of a trash receptical but I think I am going to drop some of these off at Dr./Dentist offices & laundromat.

So I guess I was rebellious and naughty today......

• minimus
    minimus

yknot, how do you get away with this stuff?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    I had back problems and couldn't sit long, so stood at the back most of the time.

Same here. I got counseled for it several times, but I kept standing at the back when my back was bothering me. The "problem" of people standing at the back was even brought up in a "local needs" talk. I don't think I was the only one to get pissed about it. From that point on I stopped attending meetings if I felt even the slightest twinge in my back. Of course, the elders didn't like that either, and counseled me about meeting attendence, which gave me the perfect opportunity to give them the shit they so richly deserved.

W

• minimus
    minimus

Tell them to "back" off.

• dissed
    dissed

Shortening the meetings wont solve the problem. Its the quality that sucks.

They are not for families, as is evident from everyones comments.

Public talks? Are you kidding me? It takes endurance to get through one.

WT study? True some will comment, but before and after, few ever talk about the content.

School and Service meetings: Like a prison sentence to kids. "Do we have to go!"

Yes, there are solutions. Separate classes for kids with the sisters teaching? Do you think they would do a good job or what? And the kids would actually look forward to the meetings.

Will they ever learn?

"We will NEVER give up our ways until you pry these WT's from our cold dead fingers!" 2 GB 3:2

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit