How Did You Handle Sitting At The Meetings?

by minimus 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Out at Last!
    Out at Last!

Toward the end I was bored, angry also from the information presented. I could not believe the BS and the spin the WTS would spew out and everyone would say what a good meeting we had today. What were they listening to??? When I was the sound servant, there was always "prep work" to be done, load next song on CD, untangle mic cords, organize and talk to mic handlers, 1 would first half of WT study, another would do second half, giving you 4 people to talk with, change one from 1st half to second, it could go on through the whole meeting and keep it interesting because you wouldn't hear anything form the platform. When I was the literature servant I would do the monthly count of literature during meetings, again no time to listen.

We had 2 congs meeting in one hall, so I hated when we had the late meetings, you would miss all NFL games for the entire season, except for Monday nights. On those afternoons I would get a headache and go out & sit in the car, of course listening to the Steeler games. On Sundays with the really good games scheduled, would make an excuse to HAVE to leave after the Public talk. Even at assemblies, people thought I was working because I was never in my seat, but I was in the car listening to Penn State on saturdays, and Steelers on sundays.

If I was sitting through the watchtower study, about paragraph 8 I would start writing places to go to eat in the margins or on top or bottom of magazine for after the meeting, and hand it to my then wife. She would write another place, and on it would go through the rest of the meeting.By the end of the meeting, we had no idea what the meeting was about, but we knew where we were going for lunch. Amen and out the door!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I just vegged out. There was nothing better to do--I never learned anything worth learning. I would wake up just enough to give a comment that was in sync with the paragraph, and then go back to daydreaming. Eventually, I realized that it was a complete waste of my time (plus, getting told to just meet men didn't deserve my steady or reliable boasting session attendance), so I stopped going.

• Farkel
    Farkel

We all know the meetings were boring, but there was another phenomenon going on at meetings?

As soon as the minute hand reached 12 on the clock and the meeting was supposed to be over (but wasn't), did "Jehovah" somehow create a time warp, or something? Was it just me, or did every subsequent minute past meeting time turn into 2 hours, and after 5 minutes, why every minute turn into eternity-time? I swear I am not making this up, but isn't it true that an extra 5 minutes in a meeting was a thousand times longer than the meeting itself?

Farkel

• minimus
    minimus

I couldn't stand these long winded elders!!! More than a few times, my bookstudy would end in 45 minutes. There was just nothing more to say! But a couple of other bookstudies would go an hour and 10 mins! I wanted to get out of there as soon as possible.

When my daughter became of age, we'd head for bar/trendy disco on Thursday nights. I often got free tickets to see big name bands and I'd skip the meetings for the concerts,.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I didn't realize it at the time but I had panic attacks. The only way to stop them was to get up and move. So I did a lot of pacing at the back of the hall.

Once I learned sign language though I had an iron-clad reason for standing Never had a panic attack then unless I wasn't interpreting - then I was back to pacing at the back of the hall

• minimus
    minimus

Lee, you just needed to stay busy. I think a lot of us had panic attacks. I hated trying to sit for 2 hrs.

• darkl1ght3r
    darkl1ght3r

My ex wife used to work out of town for one week each month. During that week I usually didn't go to a single meeting or service. I looked forward to that week SO much. But when I did have to go I usually just sat there and did personal research in the Bible. I was completely oblivious to the meeting because I couldn't care less anymore. I'd head it all before any way. A hundred times.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I swear I am not making this up, but isn't it true that an extra 5 minutes in a meeting was a thousand times longer than the meeting itself?

Oh yeah! And if we were unlucky enough to have a public-talk-prayer-giver at the end ... the words 'black hole' and 'spaghetti' come to mind.

• crapola
    crapola

I would sometimes have a notebook and make out my budget for the week, grocery lists, etc. During the Wt study I went to the bathroom alot. I thought at times it would never be over. I'd at times look around at the older ones there that had been coming to the meetings for years and wonder if I would be them in the future, waiting for Armegeddon to come. My mind wandered alot. I was bored to death most of the time.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

towards the end it was nails on a chalkboard. The inane comments grew worse every meeting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit