How Did You Handle Sitting At The Meetings?

by minimus 50 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Hey....maybe we weren't as good as we thought.

• Cthulhu
    Cthulhu

Once I realized what horse shit the actual doctrinal matters were I kept going for a bit and decided "well, at least I can sit there and read my Bible." I did that for a while and then saw that the Bible itself doesn't make any sense, was often contradictory, and depicted a very self-centered, jealous, and cruel deity. So then I had no reason to go any longer.

• Open mind
    Open mind

I pay more attention than I ever have. Different shade of glasses now.

I particularly enjoyed Numbers Chapter 31 this week detailing the Booty Tax.

For some reason no one commented on this genocidal chapter. Go figure.

om

• JWinprotest
    JWinprotest

As a teenager I could never get my mind off girls......which was easy to hide until it was time to get up and sing.

Now I have kids of my own so I spend almost the entire meeting in the lobby.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Daydreaming took the edge off the meetings.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I honestly used to pretend to take notes... but what I was really doing was distracting my brain by writing lists- challenging myself to see how many ballplayers on a particular team I could think of, or albums by a certain band. Anything to shut out the propaganda.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Sometimes on a warm Sunday afternoon you would spot some poor soul doing the head bob and snap routine. Good for a quiet chuckle.

As a kid, the real suspense for me was when the 15 min intermission came between the talk and the WT study. I would watch my folks like a hawk for any clues they were going to ditch the WT study, which they did about a third of the time. This could be gathering sweaters, putting the bible back in the bag etc. I would then go up to Mom and quietly ask, "Are we going?" When she confirmed my assumption I felt like I had just had a jail sentence lifted. But when they would wander around and start visiting and leaving everything at the seats I would get a lump in my throat realizing that I had another hour to go.

• BorgHater
    BorgHater

The public talk on a sunday was the worst - especially if you had a really rubbish speaker with a monotonous voice, giving a talk on Daniels prophecies zzzz BOOOOORING!!!!

I used to have to take notes or i would go insane. I used to have a really bad compulsion to stand up, remove all my clothes and run up and down the isle screaming! Wish i'd done it now haha, but just sitting their imagining doing it was fun and passed the time

BorgHater x

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I looked at the hotties

• Hiding Questioner
    Hiding Questioner

Beyond the fact that I go to keep my wife happy, I like to go to be amused by the sights and sounds of the CULT thinking. At this point I think it's fun to distinquish the brainwashing comments and patterns and know that they don't have my mind. However, it is SAD when I see people held in such blind mind control. Finally, it also helps me knowing that, when Bethel Monitors read these threads, they now know that they have many regular meeting attenders who don't for a minute believe their BS and don't blindly obey.

HQ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit