What do you think about this quote from the 2003 District Convention talk "Beware of the Voice of Strangers"?

by LUKEWARM 55 Replies latest jw friends

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Bookmarked. That quote (convention prersentation transcript) is just bizarre and creepy. It truly boggles the mind.

• Trevor Scott
    Trevor Scott

Wow. AE hasn't answered my questions. That's weird.

• blondie
    blondie

Gal. 1:8 is used in the article about Beware of the Voice of Strangers in this WT article after that convention. I could see the speaker "expanding" on it in this talk. Actually, I used this scripture quite often when I was told I had to believe something just because it was from the FDS. After all on earth, the angels still outrank them.

*** w04 9/1 p. 17 pars. 16-17 Beware of "the Voice of Strangers" ***How, though, do we know for sure whether we are dealing with a friend or a foe? Well, Jesus says that the sheep follow the shepherd "because they know his voice." (John 10:4) It is not the literal shepherd’s appearance that moves the sheep to follow him; it is his voice. A book on Bible lands relates that a visitor once claimed that sheep recognize their shepherd by his dress, not his voice. A shepherd answered that it was the voice they knew. To prove this, he exchanged clothing with the stranger. Dressed in the shepherd’s garb, the stranger called the sheep, but they did not respond. They did not know his voice. Yet, when the shepherd called them, though he was disguised, the sheep came at once. Thus, someone may look like a shepherd, but for sheep, that does not prove that he really is one. The sheep, in effect, test the caller’s voice, comparing it with the shepherd’s voice. God’s Word tells us to do the same—"test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God." (1 John 4:1; 2 Timothy 1:13) What will help us to do so?

Understandably, the better we know Jehovah’s voice, or message, the better we can detect the voice of a stranger. The Bible points out how we develop such knowledge. It states: "Your own ears will hear a word behind you saying: ‘This is the way. Walk in it, you people.’" (Isaiah 30:21) That "word" behind us comes from the Word of God. Every time we read God’s Word, we hear, as it were, the voice of our Great Shepherd, Jehovah. (Psalm 23:1) Hence, the more we study the Bible, the more familiar we become with God’s voice. That intimate knowledge in turn enables us to detect instantly the voice of strangers.—Galatians 1:8.
  • marcopolo
    marcopolo

Hello Blondie

I wait for yr comment WT study

hugs

• Trevor Scott
    Trevor Scott

BTT for AE. Couple questions that she must have missed:

: well they didnt recommend they sell their homes either....they said its a fine way...not recommending is it

Actually AE, yes indeed they did recommend it. Do you understand what recommend means? No disrespect, but do you understand precisely what the word means?

Dictionary definition:

verb (used with object)

1. to present as worthy of confidence, acceptance, use, etc.; commend; mention favorably: to recommend an applicant for a job; to recommend a book.

This is exactly what they did. They presented as worthy of confidence, acceptance; they commended; they mentioned favorably.

So don't say they didn't recommend people sell their homes. K? Cuz that would be lying and I know you wouldn't want to do that.

So.... was it loving to RECOMMEND brothers sell their homes and then 2 years later embarrass and criticise them for doing it? Yes or No?

Secondly, if this was "not the kind of thinking that Jesus advised", then why was his FAITHFUL AND DISCREET SLAVE recommending it?

Peace.

• designs
    designs

Its a carefully crafted message like most religions and politicians put out: Power stays with us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit