The Moral Life

by Butterflyleia85 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

"The Moral Life a thematically arranged anthology of philosophical readings, contains an unusually wide range of topics including religion, sexual relations, capital punishment, and genectic engineering. Steve Luper and Curtis Brown have expanded the readings for the second edition to include full introductory chapter on ethical theory and a new chapter on terrorism. New selections throughout the text include writing from Confucius, Hinayana and Mahayana scriptures, Walter Block, and Michael Walzer.

The Moral Life features wide coverage of many topics; chapter introductions that describe the readings and place them in a rhetorical framework, a good balance of opposing points of view and end of chapter questions."

This was on the back of the book, The Moral Life second edition by Steven Luper and Curtis Brown, that my fiance who is nonjw and free from all religion gave me to look at. He said he had to study it for college but that it gave very interesting information on how to live a moral life free from religious bios. So I excepted and now have homework. I will try and keep tabs on what I been learning. But seriously I hate reading long dry stuff so we will see.

I also have other stuff that some ppl on the board has suggested (some by Ray Franz, Kyria Abrahams, etc.) I do intead to get the bookstores and find them. It's all exciting and I think will give me an awakinging veiw.

What's your favorite books, authors, or research material you use, in guiding you through life? (spiritaul, logical, or inspirational)

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

That sounds like a good book, butterfly. Thanks for mentioning it. I enjoyed Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness by Bhante G and What Makes You Not a Buddhist by someone whose name I don't even want to try to type.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

Geez, I just looked up your book on amazon and it's selling for $76 new! Fortunately $8 used.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

What's your favorite books, authors, or research material you use, in guiding you through life? (spiritaul, logical, or inspirational

Stay out of jail. Its not a nice place, they keep the lights on all night. People fight and bully. If your small and slight some one will try to screw you.

If you can live your life to stay out of jail you will be on the right moral path.

To simplify that do unto others as you would have them do to you.

To stay out of jail know what the rules and regulations are in your locality.

I guess you could be very moral and be in jail.

Then you would stand for something.

Still if possible stay out of jail, thats morals 101.

• flipper
    flipper

BUTTERFLYLEIAH- Hey there ! How are you ? I know I've mentioned this on other threads but since your thread is about what helps us and you asked about books we've read that help- here goes.

1. Crisis of Conscience by Raymond Franz- Must read for all exiting witnesses. This ex governing body member tells what REALLY goes on behind the scenes at Bethel and within the governing body.

2. Combatting Cult Mind Control by Steve Hassan - Excellent book which Hassan explains how he escaped the mind control cult- The Moonies - and the book explains in detail how many religions , businesses, governments, use mind control to keep members in fear and guilt.

3. Releasing the Bonds- Empowering People to think for Themselves by Steve Hassan - His follow up book written in 2000 which also describes Jehovah's Witnesses in many sections as being a mind control cult. Talks about how to assist cult relatives to exit- and talks about phobias which entrap people in mind control cults. Excellent read !

4. Gestalt Therapy Verbatim- By Frederick Perls - A great psychology book I read twice in high school then again in the last year. It deals with how people are afraid to move on in life, get trapped by unfinished situations in their lives - and how sometimes those ordeals come out in our dreams . The book talks a lot about being real, not fake, being honest with ourselves and others. Great read.

So- Those are a few books that have really assisted me Butterfly. Oh- I PMed you some info we talked about the other day. Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

A book my mother-in-law suggested... (I'm trying not to take it offencively but I feel like backing the JW; Geez the place I want to get out of is the place I'm trying to STILL pull people into!!)

Fast Facts on False Teachings by Ron Carlson and Ed Decker...

World-renowned cult expert Ron Carlson and Ed Decker combine their extensive knowledge to give readers quick, clear facts on the major cults and false teachings of today. Short, informative chapters contrast the cults' theologies with the truth found in God's Word. This book is an easy-to-use resource that provides powerful insights for sharing the biblical gospel with people ensnared by false religions and philosophies.

Readers will discover the key facts on—

• Atheism
    • Buddhism
    • Evolution
    • Hinduism
    • Islam
    • Satanism
    • And more

Fast Facts® on False Teachings is an easy–to–use resource that provides powerful insights for sharing the biblical gospel with people ensnared by false religions and philosophies.

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

Try this book. It should be available at your local library.

Take Back Your L i fe: Recovering from Cults and Abusive Relationships.

Or the previous edition, Captive Hearts, Captive Minds: freedom and recovery from cults and abusive relationships.

by Madeleine Landau Tobias & Janja Lalich

There is some discussion of them in these threads.

(Black Sheep from another board posted)

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

Try also reading CAPTIVES OF A CONCEPT. You can google that one and I think you can simply download it from the internet at lulu.com (for a small fee). It will help with whether the Governing Body is God's representative.

(onthewayout from another board post)

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

"Your Erroneous Zones" by Wayne Dyer was suggested by my Aunt and Cousin who are no longer JWs. They said it isn't specifically about religion, but it is about how people can become immobilized from moving forward.

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

(suggested by jgnat) Expecting Armageddon: Essential Readings in Failed Prophecy by Jon R. Stone &

The Battle for God by Karen Armstrong.

(suggested by freeatlast1914) "A book that has helped me in my understanding of the evolution of Christianity is The History of Christianity by Paul Johnson."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit