A Conversation That Sent Me On a Search ...

by snowbird 57 Replies latest watchtower bible

• snowbird
    snowbird

1 Corinthians 3:19 As it is written: "He catches the wise in their craftiness" NIV

Job 5:13 He catches the wise in their craftiness,
    and the schemes of the wily are swept away. NIV

Psalm 27:14 Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD. KJV

I haven't figured out how to do links yet, but those are the Scriptures I have in mind.

Sylvia

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

It fascinates me how something that cannot be known is spoken of with such certainty. No one knows what happens when we die. No one has ever come back to relate what happened. If they did then they never were dead. And look at all these words written here based on opinion and personal choice stated as facts. This is why we handed out magazines, we bought into someone's opinion of the unknowable. Big mistake. Glad I'm out of that game. When we die we become dust. So it goes. W.Once

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thank you for your input, WAEO.

Sylvia

• xelder
    xelder

Snowbird - great post

I am fairly new to this sight and just realized last week what Pauls words meant (Rom 6:7). I have read Romans for 49 years, being raised a JW. I have taught the WT explainations for 25 years as an MS/Elder. Thanks to this sight I am rethinking many things and learning a great deal. Thanks to all who take time to contribute

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Snowbird - great post.
    I am fairly new to this sight and just realized last week what Pauls words meant (Rom 6:7). I have read Romans for 49 years, being raised a JW. I have taught the WT explainations for 25 years as an MS/Elder. Thanks to this sight I am rethinking many things and learning a great deal. Thanks to all who take time to contribute

Thanks.

This site is a great place for listening, learning, debating, and venting.

Sylvia

• yknot
    yknot

Okay my fading JW brain has a question.......

Forgiveness? If a person has consistently repented and been forgiven (or I guess even a heartfelt deathbed one) how does that filter into this discussion of judgement? How is Judgement affected--- both in this 'system' and/or 'millennial'.......

(Perhaps someone could start a new thread regarding a non-jw view of the millennial reign too so as not to hijack)

Thank you Sylvia for posting this.........very interesting dialogue

Yknot

• snowbird
    snowbird

I don't know how those situations will be handled, YKnot, but I trust implicitly in the Savior to do the just thing.

I hope JWoods and Chalam and Deputy Dog and Jonathan Dough will enter the room.

Sylvia

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I have never heard of sin-eaters before! That is horrid!

Have any of you ever been in a situation where your little brother got blamed for something you did?

Did you let him take the punishment? How did it feel?

Or did you confess to the deed and spare your little brother?

Same sort of situation. All this "scapegoat" crap is because people are too arrogant or cowardly to take responsibility for their own misdeeds.

Even with the sin-eaters, I see it as being very cold hearted to think that another person, no matter what what his birth status or poor circumstances, should be considered as dirt under your feet.

Are we not supposed to lift our brothers? Sin eaters sounds like kicking them while they are down.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Forgiveness? If a person has consistently repented and been forgiven (or I guess even a heartfelt deathbed one) how does that filter into this discussion of judgement? How is Judgement affected--- both in this 'system' and/or 'millennial'.......

I would say that repentence (even deathbed) has the potential to keep you into your complex cast system as before. It cannot, of course, avoid your retest later on during the thousand years.

To a JW - (here I am talking about the lowly earthly class) - your repentence and forgiveness is a constant THAT WAS THEN, THIS IS NOW.

Honest to say, I seem to recall them teaching at one time or another that the "second death" could be kept around even after the millenium just in case of further rebellions!

• JWoods
    JWoods

BTW - here is the Wiki on the Sin-Eaters:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sin-Eater

I am surprised that nobody challenged me on this - it was so horrible that I refused to believe it until somebody from another forum gave me a link.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit