Help - am I on the fence??

by wantstoleave 45 Replies latest jw friends

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

I gave a partial answer on your other thread, but I recommend reading Combatting Cult Mind Control by Steve Hassan. The book doesn't mention JWs until the appendix, but see for yourself whether you think JWs fit the cult mold. One of the identifying features of a cult is that the members are told they are special; they are the only group in the world who knows The Truth. JWs think they are the only group but there are so many out there with the same belief.

And frankly, if there's a God in charge who would reward your husband's creepy behavior by giving him custody of your kids, I'd want nothing to do with that God.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi WTL,

As far as the elders tell me, he still attends meetings etc - in another country.

Tell them this!

1 Timothy 5:8 (New International Version)

8 If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

Not that JWs acutally believe the bible, they disregard much of it and go directly against much else, this is a great example.

First of all, you need to decide if the WT has "the truth". As their track record on being truthful is poor then I suggest not. Also, do you believe the Christians in the bible were actualy JWs or following Christ? Are they one and the same or completely different?

All the best,

Stephen

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Thanks Canary...good points :)

Can I ask, on the cult thing that Canary mentioned....say we agree that yes, JW is a cult; is there any one true religion then? Where did it all start? Do we then not believe in creation? Or anything from the bible? I think I ask too many questions....LOL! My mind just races ahead trying to comprehend everything. In the past whenever Ive asked questions, like how did God get here etc, I would always be told 'the brain cant comprehend that, you'll have to wait til the new system when Jehovah may tell us'. But I want answers NOW....*stamping foot*....LOL!!

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Stephen, yeh, the elders have even shown me that scripture....that's why it boggles my mind why nothing is being done about him not providing for his children. He never provided for us even while we were married, but I never thought to bring that before the elders. After all, I hadnt been an active JW for years. After he left me, they asked me why I hadnt told them sooner. I was like, 'I didnt want to involve anyone'. They shook their heads. See, I would've thought him not providing for the kids was a Df offence. But, he hasnt been.

As for the bible christians....they were christians following Jesus right? JW's as it were didn't exist in that day.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

WTL, you'll find that when people leave the JWs there is not a single destination that they all go to. Some become Christian (of a variety of denominations) some become atheist, agnostic or deist. Some explore eastern religions or pagan religions. The idea that there is one organization that's supposed to lead you to God is not Biblical. Keep doing research and you'll see why I say that.

What you choose to believe is up to you. Use both your brain (what makes sense) and your intuition (what feels right). I'll give you an example of what makes sense: You love your kids. You want them to succeed. Would you, then, make it difficult, close to impossible even, for them to please you? Why would God feel any different about his children? If a particular teaching violates either of these senses, don't ignore it. You should be really satisfied about any teaching you're expected to put into practice in your life.

Take some time to explore different religious concepts. What are the odds that anyone has been born into the correct religion? There's no harm in learning what other religions teach to determine whether you believe them or not.

If you want to know how God got here, I don't know if there's anybody who even claims to have an answer to that. That sort of question has led to some believing that God does not exist. If that's the route you go, that's fine, too. I think that God-focused relgions do require a suspension of disbelief, otherwise referred to as faith, on issues like that.

Personally, I have come to the conclusion that the Bible is a human book rather than a divine one. But I really enjoy discussing it and hearing interpretations of scriptures that differ from what I was taught as a JW.

Go ahead and enjoy this period of spiritual exploration without feeling that you must immediately conform to whichever teaching is The Truth. With so many different teachings on the earth, how would God expect you to know what's true without first examining them?

• Chalam
    Chalam

WTL,

The more you look, the bigger the gap between JWs beliefs and actions and those in the New Testamant.

As for the bible christians....they were christians following Jesus right?

For sure, Christian by name, Christian by nature :)

JWs in effect are following the WT who claim to be following Jehovah.

What's in a name?! "Jehovah's Witnesses" are witnesses to Jehovah.

Christians are Christ's witnesses.

JW's as it were didn't exist in that day.

No. They are part of the swathe of false teachers that have been around in various guises since the beginnings of Christianity, see 1 Timothy 1 and 2 Peter 2 for example.

All the best,

Stephen

• designs
    designs

False teachers kind of like you Stephen and your cruel god concepts.

But thanks for posting and showing where your land mines are hidden.

• Perry
    Perry

I agree Chalam. I highly reccommend researching Christianity as well. I have taken the time to list the fundamental doctrines of Christianity here:

www.wordfamine.com

The whole idea that a loving creator is about to slaughter over 6,000,000,000 people because of one man's mistake is frankly stupid.

The above represents a rather childish phobia that the Watchtower teaches. Some secularists on this board repeat this falsehood even though knowing full well that this is not a Christian doctrine.

The End Times destructions are military actions, with mostly man killing man. God stops this slaughter, ending the war rather than initiating it: And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: - Jesus

The reality is that death happens to all people and is a consequence of being separated from God, the Source of Life, not from some end times destruction. It has absolutely nothing to do with whether you are trying to be good or bad. It just is.

I never "read" this scripture the whole time I was a witness. So, I'll share it here:

Hebrews 9:27 .... it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

• designs
    designs

Perry, are you sure you are not just wearing Loafers rather than Wingtips with your superstitions.

• Chalam
    Chalam

I am sure Perry has his gospel shoes on.

Ephesians 6:14-15 (New International Version)

14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.

Charles Taze Russell took his off and put on his own hand made pair, nice and comfy I am sure but took him off in the opposite direction to the wrong destination.

All the best,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit