When Was The Last Time You Read From The Bible?

by minimus 41 Replies latest jw friends

• middleman
    middleman

I read it just today...try to every day. FYI, I'm reading in Daniel right now.

MM777

http://middleman777.wordpress.com/

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

I dont think I ever in my entire life actually took the book literally. I always thought it contained information that basically is common sense you know? Dont be a jerk to other people, and love one another and love God. Treat people like you want to be treated. The rest is just gravy on that theme.

I guarantee though with as much reading of it as I had to do as a JW, that I realized how FAR REMOVED that religion is from those basic principles. I believe ALL "holy books" contain the same basic information. The only difference is the HUMAN FACTOR.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

I would rather read Readers Digest, or a phone directory.

• White Dove
    White Dove

When I realised that the stories in it are re-written pagan stories. The horse and chariot that carried someone up to heaven is actually Epona, a horse goddess. Jesus story has been written over and over again in places that never had the Bible or heard of Jesus.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

I try to read a chapter or two of the Bible every day. Right now I am reading 2 Kings. I've actually done more Bible reading and study since leaving the Watchtower than all the years I served as an elder.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Goshawk: Isn't the interpretations of men and their actions that cause the trouble not the book itself?

If the book made any kind of sense, there wouldn't be all the different "interpretations" and the trouble they cause.

You'd think if God (assuming there is one) wanted to communicate with his creatures, he would make sure the communication was clear and concise. That's a given even in a freshman comp 101 course.

God needs a writing tutor. His writing skills suck.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Every time I look at the Bible, it's to prove either that it itself lies or to demonstrate how the Washtowel Babble and Crap Slaveholdery does not abide by it as they claim to.

• mouthy
    mouthy

ou'd think if God wanted to communicate with his creatures,
    he would make sure the communication was clear and concise.

How much clearer can he communicate than all the different creature's in the world,?
    Flowers of every shape colour or type,every sunset, Sunrise,rivers streams,
    Babies ,Oh I could go on, & on, Such beauty HE created,Forget the book,
    Just use the eyes HE gave you ,& let them drink in all HE made. I get breathless
    as I drive by some of those sights,& say right then & there,"THANK YOU GOD!!
    Creator of the Heavens & earth & all things bright & Beautiful " I only
    read the Bible to see if anything in it gives me wisdom..Dont believe it all
    Even some intelligent men & women today write some things that inspire me
    to change my thinking. So I think SOME of them back there was inspiring..

My 2 cents worth. Guess THAT will close the conversation & rocks start flying MY way

l

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

It's the book I love to hate- some passages are of value when you dont take the stories litterally! and some others are just plain detestable IMO!

• parakeet
    parakeet

Mouthy: How much clearer can he communicate than all the different creature's in the world,? Flowers of every shape colour or type,every sunset, sunrise,rivers streams, Babies ,Oh I could go on, & on, Such beauty HE created,Forget the book, Just use the eyes HE gave you....

I can't forget the book -- the dubs made sure of that. The book is where the idea of a god creating everything comes from, the beautiful flowers, rivers, babies, etc. But if that's true, then the Bible God made tsetse flies, the Ebola virus, lethal bacteria, and to quote another poster, "the hideous American possum."

You must take the bad with the good, or you're left with only half of a world. Evil and goodness are two sides of the same coin. They cannot exist independently. But I think you know that already.

BTW, I adore sunsets, streams, babies (especially my 19-month-old grandson). I love them for themselves. They are no less wonderful, and perhaps even more wonderful, without the belief that a god created them.

To quote an anonymous native American woman: "If you take the Christian Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain, soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone. Our bible IS the wind and the rain."

You don't need the idea of a creator to love the diversity of our marvelous planet. But if that's what you need to believe, I will certainly respect that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit