Should Elderly People Be Forced To Show ID If They Want To Buy Alcohol?

by minimus 33 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

In a local convenience store, the owners have installed an ID checker for anyone purchasing alcohol. They require you to put your ID in this machine to determine whether or not you are of legal age. Even if you are 85 years of age, you have to comply or you can't buy a beer!

What do you think about this stance? Personally, I think it's dumb. I've been told they've lost a lot of customers.

• Deceived
    Deceived

Absolutely ridiculous, they deserve to lose the customers. I wouldn't mind if they asked for my ID if they thought I looked to young ;-) but when its obvious that you are OLD its silly.

• feenx
    feenx

F*CK THAT! The only thing they need to do with elderly people is have them take an annual driving test, but please, let them buy their booze in peace. SHEEEEEESH. I wonder how long it will last before the owner realizes he's a tard for putting it in at all.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

What an oppressive society we live in to have to have our ID scanned.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hammer Head .. ID-ing Senior Citizens for the purchase of Alcohol,is Brilliant!!..Hammer Head

• minimus
    minimus

I'm 53. I look pretty good but I wouldn't be confused for a 20 year old. I actually talked to the owner. I know him. He's in his 30s and inherited the family business. I asked him if he thought that all his regular customers who are obviously older than 21 should HAVE to show their IDs. He unequivocally said that he wanted to make sure he would never lose his liquor license. he admitted he's lost some business but felt it was worth it. I think it's very very stupid.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

What sort of ID is being asked for? Is the information on the ID being kept for any purpose? What is he doing with said information? Is any of it being kept and if so, what security measures has he put in place?

Seems pretty overboard on his part to require obvious seniors to presnt ID.

• minimus
    minimus

a driver's license

• yknot
    yknot

I would ask what prompted them to install such a machine?

I am betting they got busted bigtime by their state's alcohol bureau for selling to minors!

Either way doing business with them is a choice and my business would be done down the street!

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

My husband uses a word for people like this... However, as I am a consummate lady, I will not scar you all by using it here.

J

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit