Jehovahs Witnesses: the only organization preaching the good news

by JWMediaFilms 37 Replies latest jw friends

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Luke 10:7 Stay in that house, eating and drinking whatever they give you, for the worker deserves his wages. Do not move around from house to house.

• homeschool
    homeschool

bttt

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

To follow up on dudeson's question, I checked the Holman Standard translation and it does indeed render Acts 20:20 as "house to house". Now granted, it is Paul speaking hear and not Jesus, but does anyone have an insight as to why this translation renders it "house to house"? I thought the video was excellent...but we all know that any chink in the armor will be exploited to expose "apostates" as spreading lies. Any thoughts from our scholars?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Well, a person named Walt from the org. woke me up this morning. Maybe I can return the favor one morning, I got him to leave his phone#.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Another nice vid :)

I brought this issue up with two Mormons who came preaching their "gospel" at my door and read them this passage.

Timothy 3:1-6 (New International Version)

2 Timothy 3
    Godlessness in the Last Days
    1 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them.

6 They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over weak-willed women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires

First I asked them about verse 5, gift of the Spirit. They told me they had all the gifts on display at their meetings, prophecy and such. I asked them if they spoke in tongues as the bible says but they did not.

Anyhow, I paid more special attention to verse 6. I told them that the bible only warned against people who went from door to door trying to "worm their way into homes".

Last thing I left them was Jesus' warning not to add or take away from the bible Revelation 22:18-19 and pointed out that the Mormon's had added a whole book to the bible (The Book Of Mormon). They though the verse was only to do with the Book Of revelation but strange how Revelation is the last book in the bible and Jesus mentions the warning right at the end?!

All the best,

Stephen

• JWMediaFilms
    JWMediaFilms
    To follow up on dudeson's question, I checked the Holman Standard translation and it does indeed render Acts 20:20 as "house to house". Now granted, it is Paul speaking hear and not Jesus, but does anyone have an insight as to why this translation renders it "house to house"? I thought the video was excellent...but we all know that any chink in the armor will be exploited to expose "apostates" as spreading lies. Any thoughts from our scholars?

A number of bibles translate the phrase "kata oikos" as "house to house". The problem with this is it it not correct. That phrase just means "according to house". If the greek was supposed to say "house to house" in acts 5:42 and acts 20:20 it would have used the phrase: "oikia eis oykia". Lots of times bible translators choose to make something easy to read or they try to imagine what the writer was saying(or the worst case change it to fit their doctrine). It is always best for us to actually look up the greek words ourselves, and see how they are used in other areas of the bible to establish the true meaning. The watchtower used Johannes Greber's translation to justify their addition/ommision of words in the NWT for many years, but it turns out this guy was into demons, so they brushed that under the rug. Also the ASV (which they used before the NWT) had "at homes", so they obviously weren't happy with that.

You can find a "translation" to say about anything that you want. This video examined the greek as opposed to a translation of it, and I feel it presented it accurately. Here are a couple translations that worded the phrase kata oikos what I consider properly:

ASV: And every day, in the temple and at home, they ceased not to teach and to preach Jesus as the Christ.

BBE And every day, in the Temple and privately, they went on teaching and preaching Jesus as the Christ.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Acts 20:20 doesn't command door to door preaching?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

tenyearsafter - Acts 20:17-20 Paul is not discussing preaching to unbelievers but rather teaching those who already were Christians. He says;

"However, from Mi·le´tus he sent to Eph´e·sus and called for the older men of the congregation. 18 When they got to him he said to them: "YOU well know how from the first day that I stepped into the [district of] Asia I was with you the whole time, 19 slaving for the Lord with the greatest lowliness of mind and tears and trials that befell me by the plots of the Jews; 20 while I did not hold back from telling YOU any of the things that were profitable nor from teaching YOU publicly and from house to house."

A more accurate way to understand these scriptures in Acts is "we were teaching you at your homes" similar to the way Witnesses hold congregation book studies. Paul here relates his past activity in teaching "the older men of the congregation" privately within Christian homes. Early Christians did not have Churches but met in homes, and it is to this that Paul was referring.

Romans 16:5 "and [greet] the congregation that is in their house."

Colossians 4:15 "Give my greetings to the brothers at La·o·di·ce´a and to Nym´pha and to the congregation at her house."
  • dudeson
    dudeson

I didn't read Acts 20:20 in context, which I should have. It makes sense now.

This is a great point to show to some of my friends. I'm adding this point to my arsenal.

• JWMediaFilms
    JWMediaFilms

great explanation JWfacts. You have a great webpage going on as well, thank for putting the video on there. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit