My Reservations About Calling the Garridos JWs

by undercover 30 Replies latest jw friends

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Good "speech," undercover. Balanced, and doesn't just feed a mindless sensationalism, as is common among certain crowds (cough research lady cough).

• JWoods
    JWoods

I have to agree with undercover. Probably never were real witnesses, at least after he got hold of the wife.

Did it ever occur to anyone that perhaps his lawyer (claiming they were JW) is trying to build up either a "not of sound mind" or even an insanity defense?

In the sense that he could claim that no Jehovah's Witness could do such things unless they were crazy?

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

undercover another point of relevancy is that Garrido's sentence was reduced because of his contact with JWs. I wonder if he'd have had his sentence reduced if he'd become a Catholic. I don't think so. Catholics do not have a reputation for providing moral straightjackets as JWs do, at least not to the extent of influencing secular authorities when they come to consider how much of a risk an individual may be when let on the loose. I think the fact that Nancy Garrido was a witness and that she'd married him probably also affected the subsequent lack of full supervision by the police.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

In the beginning of any police investigation, there are just a few known facts. The rest, the police uncover...sometimes going on a mere hunch. Let's all wait and see what comes out of these cases. I'm sure we are just at the tip of the iceberg as far as the Garrido's and their exploits are concerned.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Looks like they are seriously considering him for some unsolved murders of streetwalkers in the past as well.

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

Undercover, daniel - p, and skeeter (and anyone else I missed who is using reason and logic here)

Exactly. We don't know the FACTS and alot of this is supposition and embellishment about the JW connection, if there is one. Wild speculations and suppositions makes us all look like asses (am I allowed to say that here?) and desperate to cling to anything, no matter how tenous, that proves the WTBS is be harmful. Wait until the facts come out. There is enough verified craziness and harm coming out of the WTBS. They discredit themselves on their own.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

georgiegirl wild suppositions and speculations are one thing but the really valuable aspect of discussing this case is that it highlights the weaknesses of the lifestyle advocated by Jehovahs witnesses and that they see as their strengths.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

georgiegirl wild suppositions and speculations are one thing but the really valuable aspect of discussing this case is that it highlights the weaknesses of the lifestyle advocated by Jehovahs witnesses and that they see as their strengths.

And how is the "lifestyle advocated by JWs" related to what happened?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I am very interested in the story of a woman that was raised a JW, finds a prisoner as a companion, converts him to JW and they marry and their bizarre life together.

I have already posted about my curiosity of how the studying took place in prison, how it was conducted, who conducted it, who went over the baptismal questions, and what accomadations took place for the baptism.

There is an newspaper article that brings out that Garrido used becoming a JW to get out of prison.

There is a congo somewhere that knows the Garridos story, at least until he was baptised. He may have never had another connection afterwards. Actually, come to think of it, he may have never been baptised, just professed to be a Witness, I don't know.

There have been stories of horrible crimes committed by people that are JW's where I felt as if any religion they were in, it was the sole mental illness of the person that caused it and had nothing to do with affliation with being a witness.

Garrido was a smart and clever man, seeing the close eye that Witnesses have on their members, he very likely got his wife to fade off very quickly after his release. That's just my speculation, although, there may be something more to the JW connection afterwards, to my knowledge there has been nothing written.

There no doubt will be books written about this and like I said, I would be most curious about the part of a woman being raised a JW, the prison relationship and Mr Garridos exposure to the JW religion.

purps

• Satanus
    Satanus

Undercover, you minimal catholic, you;))

If the guy merely married a jw and went to some meetings, i'm willing to let him off the jw hook. However, if the lady was baptized a jw, then she's still a jw, as far as i'm concerned.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit