What's with all the 'Imminent' nonsense?

by AK - Jeff 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bystander39
    Bystander39

It reminds me of The Princess Bride:

Vizzini:
    Inigo Montoya:
  • yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

JW's just read comments like this and think we are scoffers saying "Why, all things are continuing exactly the same...".

To the Watchtower leaders, if it keeps the rank and file on the straight and narrow and they survive the big A then the end will have justified the means.

It's a fine line between wishful thinking and little white lies.

• westiebilly11
    westiebilly11

so should I get a 2015 calendar or not?....I guess any jw who does could be df for apostasy!!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Makes me think of Buckaroo Banzai:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xCyyU0bSPtk#t=320

Lord John Whorfin: Where are we going?
    The Red Lectroids : Planet Ten!
    Lord John Whorfin: When?
    The Red Lectroids : Real soon!

Fast forward to 5.20 which is where this scene starts.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

They are using the word again in the Dec WT study edition according to another thread. I think they are silly to do so, but long may their silliness continue and increase, it may help many wake up.

What JW's don't consider about the words in 2nd Peter 3 is that the writer of 2nd Peter, whoever he was, was writing at the end of the first Century, or even the early years of the Second, and was making it seem like a prophecy about the "ridiculers" who were taking the piss in his day, because the 2nd presence hadn't happened.

We have even more right to ridicule now, getting on for 2000 years later, all the promises of the N.T are even more ridiculous now.

And the WT have not considered that "imminent" will not hold water for as long as "soon" did, they will have to get out their Thesaurus to find a synonym to use, to keep the hype going, before long.

• Splash
    Splash

*** w64 3/1 pp. 143-144 par. 1 Youth, Get Saved from This Crooked Generation ***

"What makes these the grandest of times in which to be alive with all the vigor and promise of youth is that there is now imminent a vaster change in man’s way of life than that resulting from the deluge of Noah’s day. That great transformation of earthly conditions, however, will not come about without first our earth’s experiencing “great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world’s beginning until now.” (Matt. 24:21) Happy will those be who survive that tribulation and live to enjoy the peace and happiness that will replace the present chaotic way of life."

Who can find an older reference?

Splash

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit