Revealing Quote

by Farkel 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

I don't know who said this one:

"There's never been a kingdom given to so much bloodshed as that of Christ."

I think that statement is beyond dispute.

Farkel

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Interesting quote. It is accurate that religion is a cause of great bloodshed, though I don't know if Christians have been worse than some of the other religions.

I did a search and the quote is from Montesquieu a 17th century French social thinker, though I imagine you know it from Straw Dogs

Straw Dogs ( 1971 )

David Sumner : After all, there's never been a kingdom given to so much bloodshed as that of Christ. Reverend Barney Hood : [ beat ] That's Montesquieu, isn't it? David Sumner : Oh, really? Louise Hood : Who's he? Reverend Barney Hood : Somebody well worth reading.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Those OT gods perpetuated a lot of bloodshed before Christ ever arrived on the scene.

• Chalam
    Chalam

I dispute it!

Bloodshed is not attributable to Jesus Kingdom, you need to read His manifesto

Matthew 5:43-44 (New International Version)

43 "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44 But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

The kingdom of darkness claims all death Genesis 3:4 John 8:44 John 10:10

For example, Hitler did a good job for that kingdom back in WWII, up to 14 million killed in the holocaust and 60 million dead in total

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties

The statistics do not agree with the statement whatever Richard Dawkins and co might profess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_and_disasters_by_death_toll

Surely their god of "science and knowledge" should have stopped all this war, famine and disease by now?

All the best,

Stephen

• besty
    besty
    Surely their god of "science and knowledge" should have stopped all this war, famine and disease by now?

is that a recommendation to cease scientific endeavour in favor of more religion?

• Chalam
    Chalam

Not at all! God is the original scientist and He loves science (so do I) :)

My recommendation is that science and knowledge is not "god", God.

If we want to solve injustice in the world, pure science and knowledge will not do it. However, God can and will.

Here's a couple of nice verses for you.

Proverbs 3:5-6 (New International Version)

5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;

6 in all your ways acknowledge him,
    and he will make your paths straight.

Jeremiah 9:23-24 (New International Version)

23 This is what the LORD says:
    "Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom
    or the strong man boast of his strength
    or the rich man boast of his riches,

24 but let him who boasts boast about this:
    that he understands and knows me,
    that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness,
    justice and righteousness on earth,
    for in these I delight,"
    declares the LORD.

All the best,

Stephen

• Farkel
    Farkel

:However, God can and will.

Therein lies the problem. If God "can", why not now or even millenia ago? If God "will", then when?

In the meantime, humans are attemtping to do the job God "can" and "will", but never has and maybe never will. God may be on an extended vacation, but we humans cannot afford that luxury. There is much to do until and when God ever gets off his ass.

Farkel

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    may be on an extended vacation, but we humans cannot afford that luxury. There is much to do until and when God ever gets off his ass.

Farkel is right (despite his shitty tone). We have much to do, whether we believe in God or not. Good is good, and a lot has been left in our own hands. All the tools we need have been given to us.

“God does not wish to do everything, in order not to take from us our free will and that part of the glory which is ours.”

Machiavelli, The Prince

BTS

• booby
    booby

Do we really want god to get off his ass. Won't that mean the greatest holocaust ever. Even without jw calamity howling that time does not sound like a wonderful time.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    “God does not wish to do everything, in order not to take from us our free will and that part of the glory which is ours.”

What a nice way to explain gods absence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit