just a few questions I don't want to ask directly hell

by Janey214 92 Replies latest jw friends

• Janey214
    Janey214

HELLO - FIRST MAY I APOLOGISE FOR CAPITAL LETTERS MY KEYBOARD HAS GONE SCREWY. FOR THE LAST SEVERAL MONTHS I HAVE BEEN HAVING MEETINGS WITH TWO REALLY NICE WOMEN FROM THE JW ORGANISATION. I DON'T WANT TO OFFEND ANYONE BY ASKING THESE QUESTIONS I AM SIMPLY TRYING TO BETTER UNDERSTAND HOW THE WATCHTOWER CAME ABOUT WITHOUT LISTENING TO TOO MUCH ANTI STUFF. BASICALLY I UNDERSTAND THE BIT ABOUT APOSTASY BUT I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT WHETHER CT RUSSELL AND THE ORIGINAL MEMBERS OF THE WBTS WERE PROPHETS OR SCHOLARS? IF THEY WERE PROPHETS THEN WHAT HAPPENED? IF THEY WERE SCHOLARS DID THEY LOOK INTO OTHER FAITHS TO DISCOVER IF THE BIBLE TRUTHS WERE ALREADY RESTORED? MANY THANKS. JANE

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi and welcome aboard!

I think they were scholars who went off on a red herring and became false prophets.

All the best,

Stephen

• Chalam
    Chalam

What's your story if you don't mind me asking? I assume you we thinking of becoming a JW but decided to do some research?

All the best,

Stephen

• megs
    megs

Their origins have a connection to the Millerite movement of the 19th century.

• bohm
    bohm

Janey: Hey and welcome!

You read you dont want to read apostate stuff, and i can understand that. But what i really want you to consider is to read some things about cults in general. This is not written by apostates - just psychiatrists and people who have nothing to do with jehovahs witnesses. you can just search on google on cults and read the first things you hit. Alternatively, you should read Stephen Hassans book, "Combating cult mind control". Stephen has never been a jehovahs witness and the book is about cults in general and how to recognize them.

Secondly - i really think that when you are investigating a religion, you should read stuff both for and against. Like you might study 80% material thats for the group, and 20% against. Jehovahs witness has given many people quite traumatic experiences and i think its reason to investigate what they claim throughoutly. I have some books i can email you if you like, just send me a personal message (can be done if you click on my name).

Best of luck!

• cantleave
    cantleave

Hi Janey214,

Take an academic approach. As questions and make sure you get answers that can verified by unbiased sources.

Look at the history of JW's, again look at various sources before coming to any conclusions. You will some people on this site very biased either for or against, that makes it a useful site to identify the questions that should be asked. Once you know the questions research them yourself. Be a "Borean".

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Welcome to the forum.

All i can add is that CT Russell prophesied that Christ had invisibly returned in heaven in 1874 and that Armageddon was going to happen in 1914, now does that make him a prophet?

As for looking into other faiths, Russell was assistant editor to the Adventist magazine. He was part of the Millerite Adventist movement,which has an influence on his biblical prophesying. If you look at all the religions who have come from the Millerites.....Seventh Day Adventists, JW's, Christadelphians.....they all have date setting and last day prophesying in common.

As for the early JW founders religion, if you look into their history they weren't religious, they were bible students who debated and Russell published the Watchtower magazine. It was Judge Rutherford who played the part in organising it into the religion we see today, which ocurred during the 1920's and 1930's.

Paul

• CrimsonBleu
    CrimsonBleu

Janey,

Those wonderful women have every good intention. Listen to me please.

I was 17 when two very nice women came to my door. I studied, I believed everything they said. I went to meetings and made my place there. I felt fake inside, but I thought that was just cos I was shy. They led me to get baptized and I was just 18. I did it because I thought it was the right thing to do.

You are very wise to question. Please do not stop questioning till you are satisfied and content with whichever way you go. The goal is to get you baptized ad make that like the Grand Prize.

Do as these people suggest: read about cults and read the experiences on this board. This board would not exist if all was well with WTS. You can know God just fine, even better without WTS. But you decide. We are here for whatever you choose.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The WBT$ is an off shoot of the Adventists..

The WBT$ has a 100% record of failure in Prophecies..LOL!!

The WBT$ has no Scholars..

The WBT$ is a multi-billion dollar publishing company..That would love you to work for free,for them..

All you have to do is Join their Cult,the Jehovah`s Witness`s..

Then you can go from door to door and peddle WBT$ Literature..

And..

Find more people who would like to work for free for,the WBT$..

It`s the Ultimate Dead End Job..

.....................LOL!!...OUTLAW

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

This is scary, the OP is asking about the founders of the WT, which is a good place to start!! Can posters here not answer her, instead of going off on a tangent.

Paul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit