"We All Lose Faith Sometimes...."

by AllTimeJeff 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Those who leave Jehovah's Witnesses are often misunderstood for the choices that they make after their exit. From the Jehovah's Witness (JW) point of view, those who leave are leaving a "spiritual paradise" where "the truth" exists. Those who leave thus put their everlasting life in jeopardy. (joining the rest of the world that is not part of this 6.5 million member religious group)

Then there is another group that doesn't understand what some exiting JW's choose to do: Christians. Some used to be Jehovah's Witnesses, others have been lifelong, mainstream, go to church Christians, (very sincere I might add) who don't understand why a segment of former Jehovah's Witnesses become either agnostic or atheist.

It isn't my point to argue for or against either side. Really, this is much more then a simple two choice decision to make anyway. It has long been observed that man has a spiritual component that results in quality of life (or lack therof), and more and more, we find that the personal freedom to investigate ALL the options and opinions that are out there, as well as to listen to what YOU are saying to yourself is very beneficial.

So why should theists, esp Christian theists (there are other religions out there besides Christian religions) cut some slack to agnostics and atheists?

It's because for many, we are on our own unique spiritual journey. Jehovah's Witnesses were one stop on that journey, and it continues. That in itself is a concept that for some, is hard to understand.

In the world of Jehovah's Witnesses, where they claim to have "the truth", the Kingdom Hall is supposed to be the last stop, not the next stop.

Christians who observe Jehovah's Witnesses leave often feel duty bound to try and harvest these seemingly ready made Christians. And often, they are surprised to find that their efforts have been rebuffed. They come out as agnostics, or worse still, atheists! From there, the Christian reasoning is simple "We aren't Jehovah's Witnesses! We worship Jesus, so we are right."

What many fail to appreciate about the agnostic/atheist is that by definition, it is a stance that rejects a conclusion, without necessarily needing another firm conclusion to replace it. That conclusion is "God exists. God must be worshipped."

Critical thinking skills, so often underdeveloped by exiting Jehovah's Witnesses, are usually hyper sensitive upon exit of Jehovah's Witnesses. While it is noted that some join another church or religion immedietely, others do not. The same questions that led them to ask "Do Jehovah's Witnesses have the truth? What does the real history show? Can anything be proven?" are also the questions applied to the Bible and Christianity in general.

"Do Christians have the truth? What does the real history show? Can the claims of Christians be proven? What does the evidence show? Is the bible all that it claims to be as a book of irrefutable, divine revelation?"

I will allow myself only one brief commentary on this, but if Christians are sincere about "harvesting" exting JW's to their ranks, then they must do better then the simple platitudes that are offered. Assumed truths are not proven truths. For example, Christians are often wont to say "This world was created." and "That creator is Almighty God." Both statements can be made and juxtaposed on several world religions, who claim their deity as the one who should get credit for creation, and thus, worship.

Christians need to come clean about what the bible says and doesn't say, and acknowledge that, while recently improved, the history of Christianity, both Catholic and Protestant, is rank with wars, abuse, neglect, power jockeying, anything BUT advocating the simple life that Jesus taught in the gospels.

I write this not to criticize Christians or Christianity, but to make a point. When someone examines world history and the history of the various Christian churches and sects, it is unreasonable to think that an exiting JW will simply accept another "Join us! We have the truth. No really, we worship Jesus!" religion without somekind of independent verification.

And such verification IS claimed, by means of those who say that the "holy spirit" talks to them. While I personally respect this, it has to be admitted that millions do not have this kind of verification, not even among all those who sincerely believe that Jesus is god. And if it is personal to you, it can only be good enough for you. It has to be admitted that it is confusing at best why some claim the holy spirit talks to them, while others, just as loving and sincere, seemingly receive nothing from the god they are looking for. Little wonder that agnosticism and atheism are the next stops.

Exiting Jehovah's Witnesses usually just get started with an examination of JW dogma. From there, other churches are examined. The bible itself is examined. And many, in their efforts to be honest with themselves, come to the conclusion that there is no outstanding reason to believe or claim that Christianity is the one true faith. Others do not see god at all. (and to be fair, no one has seen god, or I promise you, the pictures would be everywhere.)

At a certain point, it all comes down to faith, which admittedly, is usually wrecked upon a JW exit. What is often misunderstood though is, like the Kingdom Hall, agnosticism and atheism are often stops on a spiritual journey, one that continues to forge ahead. It often isn't a final destination, although for some, it is.

It can be argued that to be agnostic and atheist in the lack of compelling evidence is the spiritually honest place to be! Why would anyone want to lie to themselves again, and simply take the word of a well meaning, sincere zealot, who, although insistent, is frequently in the same place evidence wise as a Jehovah's Witness?

At the same time though, we seem to be spiritual creatures. It looks like a higher quality of life is associated with acknowledging that "spiritual" side we all have. What zealous Christians may need to appreciate is this: that what is needed isn't a sermon, or attempts at proselytizing, or judging, but some simple air to breathe and honesty will draw the most potential converts among this group...

After all, it takes a while to get your faith back, no matter what you decide to ultimately put your faith in.

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

Exiting Jehovah's Witnesses usually just get started with an examination of JW dogma. From there, other churches are examined. The bible itself is examined. And many, in their efforts to be honest with themselves, come to the conclusion that there is no outstanding reason to believe or claim that Christianity is the one true faith. Others do not see god at all. (and to be fair, no one has seen god, or I promise you, the pictures would be everywhere.)

At a certain point, it all comes down to faith, which admittedly, is usually wrecked upon a JW exit. What is often misunderstood though is, like the Kingdom Hall, agnosticism and atheism are often stops on a spiritual journey, one that continues to forge ahead. It often isn't a final destination, although for some, it is.

It can be argued that to be agnostic and atheist in the lack of compelling evidence is the spiritually honest place to be! Why would anyone want to lie to themselves again, and simply take the word of a well meaning, sincere zealot, who, although insistent, is frequently in the same place evidence wise as a Jehovah's Witness?

Wow, can you say 'hitting the nail on the head'? Awesome essay ATJeff!

• ClubKing
    ClubKing

Excellent.

• Mary
    Mary

At a certain point, it all comes down to faith, which admittedly, is usually wrecked upon a JW exit. It can be argued that to be agnostic and atheist in the lack of compelling evidence is the spiritually honest place to be! Why would anyone want to lie to themselves again, and simply take the word of a well meaning, sincere zealot, who, although insistent, is frequently in the same place evidence wise as a Jehovah's Witness?

One of the most profound statements ever written on here. I've said the same thing numerous times when discussing the various road that ex-Witnesses take. Since we were (in many cases) 110% convinced that we had "the Truth", finding out otherwise can just shatter you mentally, emotionally and spiritually. Who the hell wants to go through that again? Which is why we tend to question things more carefully now than what we did before.

At the same time though, we seem to be spiritual creatures. It looks like a higher quality of life is associated with acknowledging that "spiritual" side we all have. What zealous Christians may need to appreciate is this: that what is needed isn't a sermon, or attempts at proselytizing, or judging, but some simple air to breathe and honesty will draw the most potential converts among this group...

Jeff, will you marry me? Smileys

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Very well said Jeff,

I have been often asked, "what church do I go to?" or even what religion I belong to.

I am a christian ( the only name that is biblical), because I believe in One God and hsi One son, Jesus, who is my salvation, I believe in God' grace and love in and through his Son Jesus.

I do NOT belong to any organized religion or attend any church in specific, I may go to any service I choose for whatever reason I choose ( typically I am invited by friends and such).

WIll I ever be part of one?, for many reason stated by Jeff, probably not.

I do NOT feel that ANY ONE religion is in the truth, nor do I view the bible as infaillable.

I love God and Jesus and all that they have done for me since I accepted them and I try my best to repay them for their love, for thier loves has made me a better person, better husband, father and, though I think my JW' family may disagree, a better son and brother.

I am faithtul but not religious.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I have spoken at church groups several times. While well intentioned, a lot of these people are clueless about what it has been like for JW's. My latest kick is to try to get people to realize that it isn't about doctrine per se. Many of my fellow Christians seem to think that all they have to do is somehow show a JW where their interpretation of the Bible is wrong, and they'll quit being JW's and join a mainstream church.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    Jeff, will you marry me? Smileys

Absolutely! But you won't be getting as good as I would get Mary....

It seems this is an idea that at least some Christians and non Christians can agree on. That would be a great thing!

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

To me, Chirstianity is baout finding a personal relationship with God, through Jesus.

The key being PERSONAL.

My way is not your way, my road is not your road, but I hope we both get there.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Jeff you and I always seem to be on the same page. Is it possible to be an agnostic and still be spiritual? I say yes!

I have no problems with exploring other religions, hence my interest in Zen living. The WT publication "Mankind's Search" actually sparked my interest in it years ago. I may have suppressed that but it has since come back to the fore.

I don't mind calling myself a Christian, though, because I think Christ taught a lot of good things, and I see evidence for a higher power. To me, spirituality is that feeling of being connected to a higher power.

As far as that goes, Buddha taught a lot of good things as well. It all gets mixed together with legend and hijacked by evil men with agendas.

I don't condemn atheists. Like you said, it's a journey for all of us. It reminds me of something funny I heard Guillermo Del Toro say to Charlie Rose (I think he was quoting someone else). He said, "I'm an atheist, thank God."

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

"We All Lose Faith Sometimes...."

Thank god for that ....humanity has a better chance of living harmoniously together from within a global community,

rather getting help from spirit channeling back to past human ignorances.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit