What Did You Have For Dinner? Thread

by Yizuman 71 Replies latest jw friends

• beksbks
    beksbks

Tell Mr. Bee I was happy to make his stomache hurt. I seem to have that effect on people

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Leolaia, there's good eats in the east bay. Some of my fav chinese places are there, mostly in downtown Oakland. Emeryville Market Place has fabulous Korean barbeque and downtown Oakland has Vietnamese restaraunts to die for. We recently found a very good Vietnamese restaurant in Elk Grove by the name of Pho Lotus, the kids and I can't wait to go back. Oh, and in Berkeley there's a great Korean restaurant on Telegraph Avenue, just a few blocks south of the Cal Berkeley campus. It's been a few years but I hope it's still there.

I love California!

• Farkel
    Farkel

leolaia,

There used to be a very expensive but excellent Indian restaurant in Ghiradelli square called "Gaylord." Most businesses don't last in that square because the rents are stratospheric. I think Gaylord moved to the Financial District.

Whenever I visit the City, I eat at Hunan's. I heard they have several places now. In the original one, the floor tile was worn right down to the cement. Zero atmosphere, good prices and great food.

I always bring a fire extinguisher when I go there. For my mouth.

Farkel

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

The best dim sum I've ever had was in San Francisco, not at the tourist traps but at the places that the Chinese San Franciscans go to.

• zarco
    zarco

Leolaia - Our favorite of all time is also closed, Zare’ on Sacramento in the City was amazing. It was small and had wonderful Persian influenced fish and lamb dishes. Zare moved to Napa for a couple of years, but his place didn’t take off and has closed. He is back in the City with Zare at Fly Trap on Folsom. So at least we get to enjoy similar food again. We will try Tadich's next time we are in the City.

For casual in the City, Tartine in the Mission District is pretty special as is Café Zoetrope on Columbus a couple of blocks from the Transamerica Building, relatively close to City Lights bookstore. I can picture you spending all day at City Lights. I don’t spend all day there, but I do enjoy going.

Surprisingly, the East Bay has some really great places. Chez Panisse is wonderful. We like the café upstairs. It is cheaper than the dining room and anything Alice Waters does is pretty special. She has helped Berkeley Public Schools transition to a more healthy food program. We admire her as a person and many restaurants in the area imitate her style and use of local foods. Near Chez Pannise is the Cheese Board – a vegetarian pizza place. They play jazz most every evening, it is a fun place to hang out. When school is in session you usually have a to wait in a long line.

When you come to the East Bay, let us know. There are some really nice places within walking distance from our house. A long walk, but doable. Which comes in handy if I drink a little more wine than anticipated.

Zarco

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

beksbks....No, never tried that yet, it seemed like of a novelty to me. What is your experience like? Does it truly give you an amazing taste experience? Not that I am above trying novelty things; I went to the weirdest, most surreal place in Tokyo (Namjatown) to get some miracle fruit-su.

mrsjones....Mmmm, I see you like Korean. :) There's good Korean around, but nowhere (so far) as good as what I had in Hawaii. In Palo Alto, there is an outstanding Vietnamese place on University Avenue, although I seem to more often go for Thai which is more common. It's wonderful living in a place with so many options!

Farkel....I wonder if that Hunan's is the same as the Hunan Homes' place in the Penninsula. I know they have a restaurant in SF...I think it's at Nob Hill at Jackson St. Anyway, Hunan Homes' is my favorite Chinese anywhere in the Bay Area. Maybe your's is the Henry's Human restaurant...I see they have a chili pepper as their logo. I also recall that there was an Indian restaurant in Menlo Park called Gaylord's but it is now out of business. Looks like the one in SF is presently located at Embarcadero.

zarco....All of that sounds delicious. It's amazing though how many mediocre or bad restaurants there are. Or places that used to be good but lost their touch. It's just that when I try to think of places I've been to, there are so many places that didn't seem that good to me for one reason or another (Greens at Fort Mason, Bucca di Beppo, a steak place near the airport, a godawful Chinese buffet place, etc.). Ever been to the Stinking Rose? I never bothered to go there...it just seemed too touristy, overpriced, and overhyped. I stay away from Fisherman's Wharf too cause of the touristy aspect. Of course, I'm a sucker for fast food too.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

We had ham, green beans, rice and celery with veggie dip.

Yiz

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Tom YUm Gum Shrimp soup & Shrimp Pad Thai

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

angel hair pasta in a chopped tomato, garlic, sage and white bean sauce. lemon sorbet to top it off.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Man I hate this town. The only seriously Italian restaraunt is 30 miles away

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit