What Did You Have For Dinner? Thread

by Yizuman 71 Replies latest jw friends

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

wha, we made it at home (except the sorbet). If that's what you're referring to.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Well, I just tried something new....Sunday gravy. Mmmmm mmmm mmmm! I might just add it to my cooking repertoire. It is a very meaty pasta sauce slow cooked for about 3-4 hours. I just saw the recipe in a cooking magazine in my doctor's office and I memorized it and went to the store on the way home and then started cooking.

I took a rack of baby back ribs and cut it half (freeze half for a later meal). Then cooked it with olive oil on the stove at med-high heat for 7 minutes. That braises it enough. Then I sauteed a can of tomato paste on the stove until it became almost blackened. Then I cut a large onion into pieces and carmelized it over low heat for about a half hour with several chopped cloves of garlic. Meanwhile I put the ribs in a pot and put it in the oven set for 325 degrees. Once the onions are carmelized, I put it in a blender and whipped it up and then poured it back into the can. Now I added two cans of fire-roasted diced tomatoes, mixed it up with the onion sauce, add some oregano, and cook for about five minutes. Then I took the ribs out of the oven and poured the sauce around it until the ribs in the pot are submerged. I also blend a sausage and add it to the sauce and also added a whole sausage. Then I put it back in the oven and slow cook at 325 degrees for 2-3 hours.

Now I make the meatballs. I take some white bread that is going stale and crumble it to pieces and then add some buttermilk ranch dressing, oregano, and one egg yolk. Then I squish it with my fingers until no bread pieces remain. Now I take some ground pork and squish it together with the paste until it is well blended. Then I take some shaved parmesan and add it, and squish until well blended. Then I take some proscuitto and tear it to small pieces and add it throughout the meatball stuff. I take the rest of the proscuitto and add it to the sauce in the oven. Then I shape into balls and place it in the fridge for later.

When the meat is falling off the bones of the ribs, I take the pot out and place on the stove and raise the heat to med-high, stirring constantly. Now I take the meatballs, place on a rack and broil in the oven at 500 degrees, turning them over frequently. Now on another stovetop I sautee some mushrooms, bell pepper, and artichoke hearts. Then when it is ready I add it to the simmering sauce. Then I heat up some pasta and then drain (I made both ravioli and spaghetti tonight). Then serve like any pasta, with the meatballs added on the side. I like to finish it with a little truffle salt.

The sauce is incredibly rich and heavy, with a touch of spicyness. It may not be authentic Sicilean, but it sure tastes a lot like the real thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit