Why are people so offended by this?

by desib77 64 Replies latest jw friends

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    deism - belief in a disinterested God! not for me I prefer the hope that my God cares enough to want to save us from ourselves.

So because you don't prefer that option, it must not be true? Wow. No matter how much we may wish it to be true, our desires do not directly affect reality.

As to why some are offended by this concept... people get offended by differing religious ideas all the time. Many theists are also often offended by the conclusions atheists have come to. Maybe they feel insecure in their position.

• 504deist
    504deist

drwtsn32 said: Maybe they feel insecure in their position

nailed it.

• desib77
    desib77

Maybe that is it.... Maybe they are scared of being left in the same difficult position that I was in after losing everything I had been taught to believe in.

• Beta Male
    Beta Male

belief in a disinterested/ineffectual god is a result of trying to balance a belief in SOME kind of god, with the chaotic "morality" of its creation. i would say it makes more sense to just not believe then assume he doesnt care about what he took the trouble to create.

• desib77
    desib77

Beta,

If I didn't see evidence of a creator then I would completely agree with that.... but....... I can't imagine how there would not be a creator when looking at the complexity of life.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

It makes my skin crawl when someone talks about how 'Blessed" they are. Why should they think they are more special than anyone else?

And as far as God goes, I think if there is a God that he lets us make our own decisions but we have to pay the consequences of them. Just like we raise our kids the best we can but after they are grown they do as they please. Not always doing what we would choose for them but it is not up to us any longer. God did his part, he made us (If he exists) but we did the rest. We ruined the earth, we do the robbing and killing, we start the wars, the list is endless. Why should we expect him to bail us out? We cause a lot of our own health problems..The world truly is in turmoil...
    They should be spending their time on medical research, ways to fight pollution, ways to promote peace, ways to make people healthier, and isolate those that refuse to live in peace. Put them in a special town called "Hell".. Let them torture each other.

I think in his own due time he will put an end to it and say enough is enough. Or maybe he will let the people get what they have coming and let them destroy themselves and the earth.

• stillin
    stillin

wasn't there some millionaire a few years back that offerred big bucks to anybody who could PROVE to him the existence of a spirit world? I wish I could remember...

But as to the original question,"Why are people so offended..." there is nothing so near and dear to a person as thier personal beliefs. That's why the JW's are taught to look for "common ground" when they come to change your personal beliefs. Don't step on toes while you actually explain what you are thinking...

Also, most people don't really WANT to fry thier brains trying to work this all out. Who can know???

• desib77
    desib77

Snoozy,

Exactly! I completely agree about the "blessed" thing....... makes me sick actually.... and they will go on and on with it, "God is sooo good... I am soooo blessed, etc......", while not once thinking about how many humans there are on this earth and how many of them do not have even a tolerable life........ Ugh.. I thought I was just grouchy because this irritates me :)

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

deism - belief in a disinterested God! not for me I prefer the hope that my God cares enough to want to save us from ourselves.

Reniaa

There's nothing empirical in your choices. That's what they are -- you choose to believe in 'unseen forces'. Fine, but, to present writings of humans thousands of years ago, as inspired from a supernatural god ? You'd have to have proof of their personal thoughts, in other words: Was it some unseen spirit that 'inspired' them or just their own natural thoughts, beliefs, preferences, hopes and wants?

You cannot possibly know the state of mind of those authors...no more than the authors of JWD posts, fiction or non-fiction books. Or, can you ?

I usually say I'm agnostic, but, going along with that theme (not knowing) I'm open for proofs. So, sometimes deism seems reasonable -- IF a creator/god exists...IT is an Absentee Land Lord.

Maybe they feel insecure in their position. ~drwatson

I think you've got something there! When I finally 'lost' my faith in Jehovah, I remember feeling a little scared & worried, "What have I done...?" We had always been warned, "There's no where else to go!" Yet, I was 'somewhere', and with some time, reading and deep thinking...I do feel better, calmer, happier. Because...I don't have to 'get into the minds' of humans/gods I cannot know.

Rabbit's droppings . .. . ..

• desib77
    desib77

Stillin,

I understand... It isn't something that I just set out to try to understand. I can't help it. I think about it a lot and to me wondering is so much better than accepting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit