Went to a Unitarian Church on Sunday

by free2think 41 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    I get your point...but it could be argued that JWs, Mormons and Catholics will tell you they go because they like it.

I see your point.

I think most of us will agree that JWs (in particular) are much different, because of the violence they direct against minors (blood issue) and the deception/dishonesty used in the recruitment process. Moreover, all eight of Robert J. Lifton's criteria for Thought Reform are arguably present in the JW experience.

So, comparing any "mainstream" church with a high-control group is not apples-to-apples, IMHO.

Now, that being said, it is very TRUE that if the cult member believes that he is happy, (according to Hassan) they are virtually impossible to extract from the grip of the Mind Control.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I suppose the Flying Spaghetti Monster would approve of Unitarian style worship, wouldn't he/she/it?

• thomas15
    thomas15

Back in the days when I was searching for a church to join, I stumbled upon the local UU church. My wife had a friend who's father was a UU pastor (when my wife was a kid) and really it was an exercise to satisfy my wifes couriosity. Anyway, we went several Sundays, maybe 4 Sundays to see if it offered us anything of value.

The UU church we went to was one of historical significance in the US, one of, if not the first in the country. The basic doctrine is that they draw upon all religions and take what they want from each. It seemed to me though in practice, there is a negative attitude towards Biblical Christianity.

It is not a cult and is very relaxed. It is also devoid of any meaningful teaching. Basically anything goes, sort of like liberal mainline protestant christian churches but well healed at the same time. At the time we went, it was a mix of intellectuals and flower children. For us, it was not enough to hold our attention for even a 1 hour service, but others may find something there.

• undercover
    undercover
    So, comparing any "mainstream" church with a high-control group is not apples-to-apples, IMHO.

In almost all cases, I would agree with you. JWs and other "high control" groups are more dangerous than your run of the mill churches.

But all religions are steeped in superstition, myth and control of the member to some degree. Leaving aside the difference between cult, mind control group and the little white chapel on the corner for a moment...

For one to have freed themselves from the snare of religion to the point of not even believing or accepting God(s), then why the need or desire to go to any church? That's where the logic fails...for me anyway.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Undercover,

Please allow me to put it to you another way.

Mainstream churches are Chock Full of Atheists.

-LWT

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    or one to have freed themselves from the snare of religion to the point of not even believing or accepting God(s), then why the need or desire to go to any church? That's where the logic fails...for me anyway.

There is no logic in going to the pub, either, for me. I go because I LIKE IT.

Obviously, you get your social needs/desires filled elsewhere. For some, the church does this.

So, for you, there is (seemingly) NOTHING that church could provide FOR you. For others, the possiblities are endless, including those tasty buffets.

-LWT

• snowbird
    snowbird
    For one to have freed themselves from the snare of religion to the point of not even believing or accepting God(s), then why the need or desire to go to any church? That's where the logic fails...for me anyway.

That's the beauty of being an individual, UC.

What works for you doesn't necessarily work for another.

Why are you always so churlish?

Sheesh!

Sylvia

• undercover
    undercover
    So, for you, there is (seemingly) NOTHING that church could provide FOR you. For others, the possiblities are endless, including those tasty buffets.

Well, hell, nobody mentioned buffets. Where do I sign up?

Your point does remind me of something that churches provide for certain segments of society. I see this a lot where I live.

Networking.

All the politicians and their lackeys make sure to go to church and get involved in church causes. Local movers and shakers make sure to be seen at church. And then there are the people who want to make connections with those groups.

It's all pretty insincere as far as worship goes.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    It's all pretty insincere as far as worship goes.

. . . from a Fundamentalist point of view.

• undercover
    undercover
    Why are you always so churlish?

I'm just keeping it real...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit