Went to a Unitarian Church on Sunday

by free2think 41 Replies latest jw friends

• free2think
    free2think

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Primate Dave i know what you mean, im heading very strongly that way also.

Robert7 I think you will enjoy it, it is so nice ot meet a grow of people that have come together just to learn and feel enriched and enjoy each others company.

Snowbird, thanks sweetie.

Leavingwt it really is, and going away i felt a buzz all day. I was saying to my mum i've never in my life felt so spiritually uplifted from going to church. It just shows what i've been missing all this time.

Oompa i say go for it, there's no obligation and you can come and go as you please. If you dont like it then at least you tried it right.

Sweepea, how are you honey? I would love to go with you when you visit here. xxx

• free2think
    free2think

Dagney, What he said made a lot of sense and it was simple but true. He said that our lives are our religion and our temple. That how we live is our religion. Our body's are our temple. And that through suffering we experience it can produce joy. I really believe that, it's certainly been true in my life at least.

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

My temple is in ruins :p

• undercover
    undercover
    I would go to a Unitarian Church even though I'm basically agnostic/atheist.
    We've always tossed around visiting the Unitarian Church... but I'm so Agnostic/Atheist that I'm struggling with the idea. ... I want to go partially for the social aspect of it...
    sound VERY non-judgemenal....and anything goes as to what you want to believe pretty much

So is it a church or a social club? Why, if agnostic/atheist, does one feel the urge to attend any kind of church?

An acquaintance of mine went to a Unitarian church. They tried to get me to come. Being agnostic/apatheist, I saw no reason to pretend to go to church, despite their free-willing system.

If I need social interaction, I'll find a good neighborhood pub...

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    So is it a church or a social club?

The good ones are both.

Why, if agnostic/atheist, does one feel the urge to attend any kind of church?

See above question/answer. Social reasons. Good food. Good music. The list goes on and on. For what you can get out of it.

An acquaintance of mine went to a Unitarian church. They tried to get me to come. Being agnostic/apatheist, I saw no reason to pretend to go to church, despite their free-willing system.

Unless you try it, you'll never know. You shouldn't feel pressured, of course.

If I need social interaction, I'll find a good neighborhood pub...

Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure you'll admit that others find what they like at church. It does not reflect negatively on you if others do enjoy church. I prefer the pub myself. I've certainly had some "spiritual" moments while partaking.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Undercover,

Examine the issue, not from the perspective of a Fundamentalist. In that arrangement, you MUST go to church, whether you like it or agree with it.

This is totally different. People are going because they do like it. They would rather go than not go. It's not tied in with eternal salvation -- unless the individual assigns it this value.

Just my two cents.

-LWT

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I've never been to a Unitarian Church, but I've been curious. I go to a Catholic church maybe twice a year. Sometimes I think I'd like more social interaction, but as soon as I'm around people I can't wait to get them out of my face. Guess I'm just antisocial.

W

• undercover
    undercover
    I'm sure you'll admit that others find what they like at church. It does not reflect negatively on you if others do enjoy church. I prefer the pub myself. I've certainly had some "spiritual" moments while partaking.

I'm sure people find something to like, otherwise they wouldn't keep going.

The good thing about Unitarian is that people who might not be accepted by mainstream churches have found a place to go to worship as they see fit. The acquaintance I mentioned earlier was a lesbian. She and her partner went there for obvious reasons since we're in the South and most mainstream churches didn't accept them.

It just kinda puzzles me why someone who has freed themselves from the superstition of religion, to consider themselves atheist even, would want to share in any form of religion...

I've been moved by the 'spirits' while at the pub myself. It was truly enlightening.

edited because I didn't see this while I was working on my post above:

This is totally different. People are going because they do like it. They would rather go than not go. It's not tied in with eternal salvation -- unless the individual assigns it this value.

I get your point...but it could be argued that JWs, Mormons and Catholics will tell you they go because they like it.

I like the Unitarian version of church, from what I know of it. But since I don't need to validate my non-belief in a higher power, I don't see the need to go. Just my opinion....and I don't fault anyone in going to the church of their choice. I beleive in freedom of religion. I support people who truly, really want to be JWs even. They have the right as much as people that want to go to the Unitarian church.

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

I went to a Catholic mass one morning- I found it relaxing. The service included moments of prayer- the formal, set ones and moments of silence for personal, bible readings, and communion. It was refreshing to go to a service where I didn't hear, "Come more often! Preach more!"

Edited to add- No one knew me, but everyone smiled and/or nodded at me.

• undercover
    undercover
    I went to a Catholic mass one morning- I found it relaxing.

I happened to be in a Catholic church as mass was going on one time by accident. ( I was in Europe and touring many old churches. I love the architecture. That is the best contribution religion has given to the world, though at the expense of the poor and downtrodden. But I digress)

I found parts of it relaxing, but parts of it creepy. I made myself stay through the main part, just to experience it (and partly to say I've done it, despite the JW superstition that demons would attach themselves to my soul and devour me).

As a little kid, I had the unhappy privilege of going to an old school Southern Baptist, fire and brimstone, tent revival, thanks to my Grandmother. I hated every moment of it. Even as a kid, I knew it was more of carnival meant to get people to give money more than anything.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit