my motorcycle trip next weekend with dubs....and why it is sad.....

by oompa 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life
    There is no way I would go with folks who shun my son. Ain't gonna happen.

I agree with this. You are supporting the shunning.

• undercover
    undercover

My initial reaction is... If my son can't go, I ain't goin'...

But I re-read this:

these cool old friends were going to let my dfd son ride with us and camp and all........but then some of their dub family wanted to come, and some other dubs who dont even know my son........and even though he was GREAT friends with some of these guys kids... who wanted to come just to camp...........well..........they would not come if my son comes...........

At first, some dub friends were willing to allow a DFd person to join on their weekend trip. That in itself is an accomplishment. I dare say that these dubs are either very fringe or on the way out.

It looks like everything was cool until some of their dub buddies wanted to join the trip...dubs who are a little more obedient. At that point the line was drawn and they chose to stay on the dub side.

You can do one of two things. Don't go...that tells all of em that you're putting your relationship with your son above your friendship with them...or...do go in hopes of further enlightening your fringe buddies, though it will probably not happen since other dubs will be there, dubbing the whole thing up.

I understand, oompa...you want to help your friends and your son isn't all that beat up about not going. If your son is cool with not going and doesn't want you to miss out, then go...have fun. If going bothers you because of how the whole thing went down, then don't go. In the end, you need to do what's best for you in the long run.

A couple of side points...I remember when I got a motorcycle back when I was still in...you would've thought I had joined the Hells Angels by the reaction I got from other dubs (except for a couple of jealous husbands). Now groups of dubs are going on bike trips? Aren't they going to miss service and a meeting? What the hell's happened with the cult these days?

Personally, even without all the business about allowing my son to go or not, I couldn't take a bike trip with a bunch of JWs...it would kinda be like hanging out with the Amish at a sports car rally...

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I dunno... it's your call either way - you are there - you know the circumstances - I don't.

I would ask though... is it possible for you and your son to have a motorcycle trip - just the two of you? ... If it just happens to follow the same route - on the same weekend as this other trip... well, that would just be coincidental.

...and just because the two of you just happen to motor past the other group once or twice on the trip (waving madly at those - especially the ones who prefer to shun) ... well, that too is coincidental.

I guess I am of the type of thinking that if I could spend time with my kiddo (I have a daughter that basically ignores my existance), I would do that - over some goof-balls who adhere to some flawed belief-system.

But... as you well know... it's your call.

Regards,

Jim TX

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit