Selection of the JWs in 1918/1919 - how might a JW attempt to show from the Bible

by insearchoftruth 55 Replies latest jw friends

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth
    We are not an island all of God's people including the appostles needed correction

But show me an instance where the apostles made a correction, then had to revert back to the original interpretation......I expect more from God's present spokespeople......yes, understanding is progressive, but going backwards is not a progression....

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

That would be quite some correction to make, to suddenly say, "woah, turns out we were actually wrong about 1919 after all."

• reniaa
    reniaa

hi insearch well there is the time apostles thought one of them would live till Jesus's return and not die.

John 21:22-23 (New International Version)

22 Jesus answered, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me." 23 Because of this, the rumor spread among the brothers that this disciple would not die. But Jesus did not say that he would not die; he only said, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?"

Its why I showed you the word correcting which itself shows we are liable to make mistakes which will need correcting and having the humbleness to allow the correction from a wrong path. Especially on prophecy interpretation which is a minefield simply because it is so symbolic and yet we have to prepare for the signs and times. I know someone that is a charassmetic christian they are waiting for plagues of locusts and suchlike. We need to be realistic with prophecy that our own eagerness may read it wrong but we have a responsibility to be prepared and not abandon what is written for our help. We must allow that we can get it wrong in our eagerness because only God knows the fullness of everything.

For me religions that are still clinging to massive 1700 year old mistakes and cannot accept any refinement at all have more to worry about, they use scripture not for refinement but to find loopholes to allow them to do things God disaproves of.

At this time I see the Jehovah witnesses as being the closest to bible scripture they do the preaching work they are doers not sayers of the word. which for me is more important than arguing over minutia doing nothing till armageddon passes you by :s

Reniaa

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

There is some great information on this thread. Thanks for the quotes from the Isaiah book Drew Sagan.

It is amazing the mental gymnastics people are capable of when they want something to be true despite the facts being laid out before them.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

And notice that Reniaa completely ignored the subject of the symbol of another God that is on the cover of the primary WT book at the time that the organization was "chosen" by Jesus out of all the religions of the world. A clear violation of the first Commandment. Maybe she thinks it's just a decoration. It isn't. At that time they believed in Pyramidology. They believed that Adam was the first Pharoah and was buried in the Sphynx. They believed that the Great Pyramid of Giza was the "Bible in Stone". This is a great part of the "truth" they taught at the time that Jesus supposedly chose them.

Your elder will probably do the same as Reniaa... or will do what my x did. I showed him the cover of the Finished Mystery. (I still had my copy at the time) I asked him what he thought that symbol was. He didn't know. I then showed him a book that showed the symbol and what it represents. His eyes got really big and he literally ran out the door. In a later conversation, he said he "WANTS" to believe the "truth". It is the only world he knows. He is afraid to face the facts because it will disrupt his life...so he willfully closes his eyes. I think a lotof JWs do the same.

Coffee

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

And I ask again:

But show me an instance where the apostles made a correction, then had to revert back to the original interpretation......
  • isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

reniaa said:

At this time I see the Jehovah witnesses as being the closest to bible scripture they do the preaching work they are doers not sayers of the word. which for me is more important than arguing over minutia doing nothing till armageddon passes you by :s

Reniaa

My reply:

Most other relgions also preach. My church is constantly on missionary tours. JWs are the only one's who do it by a prescribed method and count the hours, and quite frankly have the least productive 'ministry'. And what good is preaching if what you are preaching is false?

Back to ISOT's question, I know of no instance where the apostles made a correction, then had to flip flop back to the original teaching. The WT tries to justify this in a Wt artlcie by referencing a boating tacking. The only problem is a boat tacking still goes forward, as it goes left and right. The WT goes right back to where ti started.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

The example that Reniaa gave is just correcting a rumor... hardly the same as changing a teaching. No comparison at all.

Coffee

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

exactly coffee_black...the same as JWs try to compare Acts 1 where the apostles asked Jesus if he was restoring the kingdom to Israel at that time to their multitude of false prophecies.

The apostles asked a question, even if rumors circulated they certainly were not published in milions of pieces of lit over decades, forced to be accepted as truth under the threat of shunning, and most importanly put forth as truth revealed by God.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Reniaa, Are you going to answer?

Coffee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit