Did you Leave the Room for Birthday Parties as a kid?

by saywhat29 20 Replies latest jw friends

• saywhat29
    saywhat29

In elementary school, the teachers would allow parents to bring in brownies/cake/cupcakes/ice cream to celebrate a studen'ts birthday.

And YOU were supposed to leave. Or tell the teacher that you would not be partaking of pagan desserts.

But. Did you actually leave?

LOL. Because I damn sure did not.

• blondie
    blondie

I attended schools that did not allow it because some children were too poor or had uninterested parents which made for low esteem or no food from the outside was allowed.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Oh, yes...I did. The tug of war with your conscience is a sickening thing to deal with as a child. It's really sad what many JW kids go through psychologically....always feeling like somebody is watching you. You even feel guilty for wanting a cupcake, much less taking one.

• snowbird
    snowbird

As I'm not a born-in, your question doesn't apply to me.

I just popped in to say, HI!!!

Sylvia

• tinker
    tinker

I had a liberal JW mom and she said 'just don't make a big deal out of it, eat the cupcake but don't sing the song' Never left the room so didn't get to know the library lady very well. My kids however, oh I was a stickler, sooo sorry, my bad, they had a close relationship with library lady and did become very good readers, all.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Nope never left the room. And always got ratted out by some other dubbie in my class but I didn't care.

nj

• snowbird
    snowbird
    always got ratted out by some other dubbie in my class

LOL.

That happened to my oldest daughter quite a bit. She was a rebel.

Poor thing, no wonder she acts crazy now.

I was such a fool!

Sylvia

• blondie
    blondie

I never had any jws in my classes or schools. The flag salute was more difficult. We could stand but no hand over heart. I stood towards the back. Never anything negative came of it until I got older in middle school. That teacher was a psycho and actually made me very popular with the student body.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw
    She was a rebel.

Yeah, that's what my dad called me, "the rebel"

nj

• outofservice
    outofservice

The Library was my friend. Always had to go sit there quietly while everybody had a great time at the birthday party. One time a friend saved me the candles from the cake. I put them in my pocket and took them home, then I started to worry the demons would come because of it so I promptly threw them out. God I feel so sorry for the JW kids still going through this.Just glad I didn't do it to my kids.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit