Don't You Hate It When A Witness Says "We Miss You At Meetings?"

by Wasanelder Once 32 Replies latest jw friends

• startingovernow
    startingovernow

Wow, I could have used you all about 10 years ago - thought I was the only one who felt this way.

• lrkr
    lrkr

Its really the only thing they can think of to say. "We miss you" - well come on over anytime- you know where I live. You're always welcome here (except when I have the place decorated for xmas!!)

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Drives me crazy!! How about the..."We'll have to have you over for swimming, I'll call you." Now you have the kids asking you eveyday has so and so called?

Such conditional love.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Sheperding call - we miss you

Me Reeeeeaaalllllyyy (Jim Carey style)

suuuuuure you do......NOT

• flipper
    flipper

I 've been faded about 6 years now . I was in an antique store last summer and a former JW friend of my JW ex-wife and me walked right by me. Had not seen this person in 13 years or so- at least before my JW wife and my divorce. She says to me, " Well Mr. Flipper when are you coming back to the truth ? " Had to think quick on my feet. I said, " I am in the truth ! The truth of living life in reality every day ! I'm a truthful person. I shoot straight ! " She had this smirky smile, " You know what I mean ! " She thought I was a smart a$$ I guess.

So I just explained I had some doubts due to the child abuse scandals and left it at that. Her and her adult daughter soon scurried away down the aisle ! LOL! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Right after I left, I got a couple of phone calls, a couple of letters saying "We miss you at the meetings!" I know it was sincere, but my thought was "Wow, I can't believe I ever said that to other people..."

As if the fact that you are missed gets to the reason of why you aren't going to meetings. A real friend would ask, "What happened? I am sure there is a good reason why you aren't there."

But when you are on the other side, it is so clear to see that the "We miss you" line is nothing more then one more carefully crafted guilt trip. I am not saying again, that JW's who say this don't mean it, but when I said it, their was an ulterior motive as well. It wasn't a personal I miss you, it was a "get your ass back to the KH" I miss you.

I miss you should mean YOU miss THEM. It should never be used to guilt someone to do something. Holy hell!

• oompa
    oompa

undercover stole my post.......oompa

and add....please invite us over or drop by......then invite them over......see if it happens......only do that if you really like them enough...

• crapola
    crapola

Yeah I hate that. I never have a visit but when I do happen to run into someone in town, they'll say that. Then I never hear from them after that. So how sincere can they be?

• Robdar
    Robdar

Actually, it never bothered me. And I never thought of them as being hypocritical about it either. Nowadays, when I run into members from my old cong, we just hug and then chat. I've been away for so long they know I'll never be back.

The thing I used to hate was getting a gift subscription to the Watchtower or Awake, or a letter from one of the elderly sisters admonishing me to turn back to Jehovah so I wouldn't get destroyed at Armageddon.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

They have told the wife to say, "Tell OTWO we miss him." Sometimes I say, "Tell them to call me. They have the number. We'll do lunch." She asked if I was serious. I doubt she passes that on, but I have said it to some when they said it to my face. My phone doesn't ring from them, I never have done lunch with them.

One evening, I picked the wife up at the KH. I arrive about 10 minutes after the meeting was over. Only one car has left the lot, so I park there. I'm right there facing the door. Everyone can see me when they walk out- everyone. So the wife gets in the car and lists 5 people who said they miss me. I asked if she could have just said, "He's right outside" and I added, "They walked right by my window and didn't stop to say hello." That's what gets me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit