Don't You Hate It When A Witness Says "We Miss You At Meetings?"

by Wasanelder Once 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Don't you hate the hypocrisy when you run into a witness you haven't seen in over 5 years (even thought they live less than five miles away in the same town) and they say, "We miss you at the meetings?" They can't call or stop bye to say hello, but they miss me at the meetings. What crap. These people are in absolute denial about what it means to be a friend. How about you, do they act that way towards you? I'm a big fader, not DF or DA'd. W.Once

• undercover
    undercover

It happens less and less frequently, but when it does happen I usually say something to the effect of, "My number hasn't changed. I'm still at the same address. Call me anytime if you want to get together to see a movie (dinner, play golf, see a show, etc.)"

I just turned the tables on them. They were using their supposed friendship to put a little guilt trip on me. But when I respond the way I quoted above, I've reversed the pressure. I'm basically saying; if they really missed me, why haven't they called?

• saywhat29
    saywhat29

I've always hated that. And you know, because its just what they are supposed to say. I meana I'm sure they generally do miss you at the meetings, but all i ever thnk about when people tell me that is if I were at the metings we'd say a few words and pass each other on the way towards the doors and that would be it, 3x a week.

After not seeing a face you once saw three times a week, what else can you say but "We miss you at the meetings... *pouty face*"

"Aw thats so sad, I'm sorry. We'll I'll think about that." while inside I'm like "I AM NOT SITTING IN A MEETING FOR HOURS ON END EVER AGAIN no matter how much I may like you guys!"

I usually wanna say that my face is too busy buried in my man's hairy chest after I come home from work and can't make it 'cause we're watching episodes of True Blood, but I don't wanna shock them too much.

Baby steps.

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

Ha! The people that usually say that to me never talk to me at meeting. I always want to call them on that.

• boyzone
    boyzone

Yup I HATE that. I had a sister walk past me every day without saying a single word. She knew my JW mum was fighting cancer but didn't take the opportunity to even look me in the eye... and when I mean every day, I mean every day.

Then she came into the coffee shop where I work and I had to take her order. However before giving her order to me, she held up her hands and said in a low voice, "the only thing I'm saying is we miss you".

I just about managed to hold on to my emotions long enough to take her money. I got off the shop floor and then blew.

I swear to this day I have NEVER been so angry in my life. The locker room door took a pounding as I vented all the rage I could muster at this condescending, self-righteous woman who had opportunity every day to say something to me when our family was going through a worrying time - but she chose not to.

• Girlie
    Girlie

I once snapped out at a sister when she said that to me. I said if you really missed me so much, why couldn't you pick up a phone or come to my home to show that.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Of course they would say that. Haven't you heard, 'Misery loves company!' ?

Outaservice

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

i faded away in 83. It used to really bother me when the friends would say I miss you at the meetings.

I knew it was a form of mind control and guilt and the thought of someone carring for me.

I tried to avoid the friends like the plauge the first 15 years out of the borg.

A few times when i couldnt avoid them and they told me they missed me at the meetings, I said, "Dont you be

thinking about me" You have enough to deal with yourself. Then they didnt know what to say.

But I took it off me and put it on them.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Yes! I'm hearing this a lot the odd time I do go to a meeting and I can tell you it p*sses me off no end.

• chickpea
    chickpea

like was already said:
    not getting whole lot
    of that insincere smarm
    lately....been nearly 4 yrs
    since i have been to a
    "regular" meeting and
    2 years since setting
    foot in a KH for memorial....
    but when it WAS rampant,
    the cringe factor was off