TIMBER!!!!!! Tree struck by lightening

by Yizuman 22 Replies latest jw friends

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

Ive had this happen to us...TWICE...two different houses. Two different states. Jehooover needs glasses maybe if he's tryin to get me LOL! The poor tree down here in Florida...I was sittiing in the front of the house saw and HEARD the flash and boom at the same time, and saw smoke emitting from the pine tree behind the house. The tree survived...only to be blown down in hurricane Wilma. And those that didnt get blown down in Wilma (or Jeanne or Francis for that matter the year before) gotten eaten and killed by the pine tree bore blight in 05. Insurance covered the one in Illinois, but down here is the lightening capital of the world and they were like uh ...NO LOLOL

Better the tree than your butt getting split I say :)

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Oh there was thunder, didn't think it'd do anything until I saw what it did to my tree.

• oompa
    oompa

omg....that reminds me.....i have been struck twice!.....not directly but woppin painful....one was within 60 feet....i will post it maybe......oompa

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel
    One more thing, "free firewood" ads are a running joke in the arborist industry, as no skilled person ever takes such jobs. The only kind of person who does is either doing you a huge favor or is a hack.

Or a hort wanker!

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

I'm a Agent with State Farm and was getting ready to tell you to call your insurance agent. Glad you already did!!!!

My neighbors tree was struck Monday. It blew all the bark off one side of the tree and split it. It was such a pretty tree! :(

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

My neighbors tree was struck Monday. It blew all the bark off one side of the tree and split it. It was such a pretty tree! :(

Man that sucks to lose such good trees.

My grandparents whom they lived on a farm and they used to have alot of trees out in the farm field, but they almost all pretty much destroyed by lightening storms over the years.

Yiz

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Well, the tree removal company came and removed the damaged tree. My wife cried as we watched them take it down. Thank goodness for the insurance company.

I saved the leaves from the tree and ziplocked it. Gonna take it to a Greenhouse and have it identified. Wife wants the exact same type of tree replanted, despite of the fact that I am told that this type of tree is lightening prone. But what the odds are of having the tree struck again? It's been on the front yard for 13 years.

Anyway, it sure feels funny not seeing that tree standing there anymore.

Yiz

• rebel8
    rebel8

Lightning striking there before has no affect upon the odds of it striking there in the future.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

They left behind a stomp and I'm wondering what would be the best way to at least get it down flat on the ground to say the least (mowable over it for one). A neighbor said I can burn it, but I am wondering on the legality of burning it. I should stop by at the fire department and ask about it.

But in the meantime, I'm looking for suggestions.

Yiz

• rebel8
    rebel8

Hollow it out and put some perrenial plants in it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit