Why were you baptized?

by bluecanary 57 Replies latest jw experiences

• homeschool
    homeschool

I was always accused of being a bad seed. The black sheep. The failure. It was the one thing I could do to make my parents proud. I really wanted to do the right thing. But I also wanted to marry the congregation hearthrob (who is no longer a hearthrob ). I also wanted a 95' Mustang So I studied the questions and passed the test. My parents still weren't proud & I didn't even get a new dress for the

occasion

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

homeschool, so did the Mustang work out?

• oompa
    oompa

i have no flukkin clue......sept i was fourth gen and my freinds were doin it......i was 15............and stoopid.......oompa

• White Dove
    White Dove

To be accepted and be a real functioning part of the IN group, and to be acceptable to my mom.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I was 4th generation and 17 years old. I craved the acceptance and approval of my family. I wanted to be popular, too.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I got baptized because I did not want to die at Armageddon

• mostlydead
    mostlydead

I was 12, my best friend told me she was planning on getting baptized at the district convention and so I decided that would be a good time for me to do it too. Since I knew I would some day anyway.

My elder/father (who was sexually abusing my younger sister) went through the questions in the "Lamp" book (I think that's what it was) no other elders were ever involved.

I knew I had to make a dedication in prayer, but when it got to that point, I remember lying in bed with my heart pounding, scared to death to make that commitment. If I'd had more sense, I would have known that was a big red flag right there, but I was only 12.

Got to the convention, best friend had changed her mind and not bothered to tell me. One of the two questions that were asked of the baptismal candidates at that time was, "Have you made request to God for a clean conscience?" I was panic-stricken, I didn't know I was supposed to make such a request! I said, "yes" anyway, just didn't know what to do at that point.

I'd had a near drowning accident the summer before, and for months I couldn't put my face in the shower water, let alone get into a swimming pool. But I did and felt fairly calm which I attributed to Jehovah's help. Got dunked, no fanfare afterward from my family (no surprise there) and life went on as usual.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Exactly as they stated in the latest Watchtower, why not to.....family tradition, 1975 was a year away and I might mention, pressure, pressure, pressure!

I believe I had just turned 15. I knew all the right answers to the 80 questions, it was just parroting. Nothing but getting my parents off my back. When you had to shout at the assembly,...."Yes"...I did not say a word. I also crossed my fingers behind my back, ....as if that did any good.

r.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

"No one will marry you if you aren't baptized. "

I almost got baptized for that very reason. Thank God he broke off the engagement 5 months before the wedding. He did it in a jerky but that's what jerks do. So glad I didn't marry him.

Josie

• homeschool
    homeschool

LoL, Blue. No, I didnt get the mustang. Or the congregation heartthrob thank goodness!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit