Why were you baptized?

by bluecanary 57 Replies latest jw experiences

• purpleplus
    purpleplus

At age 19 I thought it was the right thing to do.

• darkl1ght3r
    darkl1ght3r

I was 12. TWELVE! I still remember the date: December 19, 1992.

Of course I believed it was the truth. I wanted to make my parents happy, be seen as 'mature' so I could pass the mics and sit in the back and play with the sound equipment. The lifetime commitment didn't scare me. After all, why would I ever leave The TRUTH TM ??? Of course I wasn't allowed to have full knowledge of what I was getting into. But mainly... (this is stupid I know, but hey I was 12) there was this girl in my hall that annoyed the hell out of me, and I wanted to make sure I got baptized before her. Stupid stupid stupid...

So somewhere in this pubescent 12-year-olds mind, where at the time my deepest thoughts were about the X-Men, ninjas, and where do babies come from, SOMEWHERE in amongst all of those weighty issues so typical of an average 12-year-old male I, under pressure from my parents and the society, decided that I was READY to make a weighty decision that could have life-altering consequences.

My decision making process went something like this...

"Hmmm, could Wolverine really beat Juggernaut by himself??? I suppose it would depend on what material Juggernaut's suit is made out of. Jeez, what if Wolverine had to fight Magneto by himself??? He'd be powerless... This greatly concerns me. I should get baptized."

Based on the result of that deep meditation, my parents and life long friends now shun me.

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

I was 20, out of home, living in another country, ... never had a real father - authority person as an example in front of me .... a nice couple started study with me (Montreal) .... he was a real example for me to follow in life ... (they were very righteous and exemplary .... later became missionaries in Ukraine...) so I got baptized to become part of that wonderful united family .... BTW really believed its the truth at the time ...

Albert

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Darklighter said:

My decision making process went something like this...
    "Hmmm, could Wolverine really beat Juggernaut by himself??? I suppose it would depend on what material Juggernaut's suit is made out of. Jeez, what if Wolverine had to fight Magneto by himself??? He'd be powerless... This greatly concerns me. I should get baptized."
    Based on the result of that deep meditation, my parents and life long friends now shun me.

I wanted to smile at your perfect rendition of what goes through a 12-year-old's mind, but the repercussions of it wouldn't let me. It appalls me that little kids get baptized and are so very likely to be shunned later in life!

As for why I did it, your quote could be mine:

The lifetime commitment didn't scare me. After all, why would I ever leave The TRUTH TM ???

Indeed. Interestingly enough, even for US who are out... the TRUTH DOES just keep getting brighter. That's why we are here.

Just a quick story about my decision. When I first asked to be baptised, I was refused. Why? Because I didn't turn in a time sheet every month. I had "witnessing" time to report, mind you... I just didn't write it down and turn it in. I felt that it cheapened it. I told the elder that the numbers were not important, and that Jehovah already knew how much time I had in. Ooooooh, independent thinking, even before baptism! I'm surprised they ever allowed me to get dunked at all!

The elder lovingly told me that to be a Jehovah's Witness, I had to witness for Jehovah. I was trying to tell him that I did that, I just didn't write down the numbers. He tried to tell me how important it was to the Brothers at Bethel to know what the numbers were. I remained unconvinced, but wrote my numbers down for a few months so I would be deemed dunkable.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I was young ... too young to get married (or have a girlfriend if you followed the WT) too young to ride a motor cycle , too young to vote - but old enough apparently to decide what I would do for eternity ....

I did believe though. I felt on a high. It was great. The old world outside were dying off and I was one of the chosen few who would get life ! The whole world's teachers, scientists, philosophers were all wrong but me, BluesBrother had THE TRUTH

Wasn't that something?????

• IronHill
    IronHill

I was eleven about to turn twelve, and got baptized because two of my friends were doing it at that same assembly. Besides a few months before i started the questions, i was advised by an elder that i couldnt pass the mikes or have any "privileges" of the sort without being baptized.

I wanted to pass the mikes....

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I was 14. My parents hinted at me that it was about time to get baptized, so I went along with it. I felt extremely guilty because I couldn't quit masturbating. I was too embarrassed to talk about it with anyone. I just kept it inside.

• darkl1ght3r
    darkl1ght3r

Yeah, I'd like to reiterate the point if it wasn't clear enough in my other post.

I DIDNT EVEN KNOW HOW WOMEN GOT PREGNENT BUT I WAS EXPECTED TO DECIDE WHAT TO DO WITH THE REST OF MY LIFE.

Git'em while they're young and stupid and you can wreck their lives forever.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

Normally, when I type LOL I don't mean that I literally laughed "out loud." This time I do.

I felt extremely guilty because I couldn't quit masturbating. I was too embarrassed to talk about it with anyone. I just kept it inside.

PrimateDave, you have a retractable penis?

• Lucky Calamity
    Lucky Calamity

Some your stories are truly heartbreaking. One of the best things about truly heartbreaking tales is that they can lead to such great humor -- eventually. LOL at bluecanary and darklighter; I truly did lol, as well.

chickpea and homeschool! So glad you're out!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit