Why were you baptized?

by bluecanary 57 Replies latest jw experiences

• stillin
    stillin

I was a believer. Didn't want to be "worldly." How profound it all seemed! I was on the edge of a deep. dark place, and I walked into the light of truth. My daughter was baptized at about 14 years old... now df'd. So I'm sorting out my life. Wife and myself active, but slowing down, though she would never look at a site like this!

A "good wife" was what I wanted. She's half crazy.. the other half is wonderful.

We made beautiful children.

• Lucky Calamity
    Lucky Calamity

It was a totally 13-year-old's thing to do - to please god and family and congregation in exchange for their adulation.

After all, the only other ways to get such adulation was by cleaning house or becoming a martyr/pioneer, which I also did, but only once, and that was enough.

It didn't take long for me to figure out that buying love wasn't to my liking.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

When I was 11 I was in one of the DC dramas... and my parent's thought it would be 'really good' if I got baptized at that convention as well. I told my dad I didn't feel ready yet.

My parents hounded me on it for the next 5 months, and I was suddenly 'ready' at the next assembly.

- Lime

• dudeson
    dudeson

I was 15 and after studying every week for about 2 years it seemed like the logical thing to do so I got baptized. Once again there was more pressure to do it from the outside than it was my decision.

• flipper
    flipper

I plead insanity. I was mentally off at the time. Entering puberty. Too much pressure. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• sspo
    sspo

I was 22 year old Catholic and got sucked in by the JW's . I truly beleived it was the truth.

• Beachwalker
    Beachwalker

Hi, I was baptised because my ex and I studied together. Bottom line, it was expected of me, I asked a lot of questions during studies, and it seemed to make sense.

Ex turned out to be a psychopath, what a waste of times the whole thing was. Who knew it was supposed to be legally binding?

Beachwalker

• chickpea
    chickpea

low hanging fruit ....
    aka easy pickings

in 18 months' time,
    both my in-laws, my
    older brother and an
    unborn son had died...

as a lapsed catholic,
    i had no "spiritual"
    anchor and lo and
    behold, the "truth" was
    delivered at my door....

followed the trajectory and
    became an "assest" to the congro

• fokyc
    fokyc

Just seemed a good idea, at the time,

made me the same as the wife and children who were ALL involved,

didn't last long though before I realised what a bunch of jerks I had joined.

fokyc

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

False promises. They told me that they would help me attract the opposite sex (along with the paradise, living forever, and the like) if I went along. Of course, they kept pushing that back every time I met the goals--and, once I got baptized, they started putting me around all men and using the a$$emblies to prevent me from making it with the opposite sex. Of course, they wanted me to pio-sneer, and to become a hounder (which would have been up to them, and they would make sure I had zero opportunities with the opposite sex (and plenty of Value Destroyer Training School/Second Dark Ages Starting opportunities) before letting me go on.

All a scam--I soon realized that, if I made it into the New Dark Ages (and that was if it came), the opposite sex would be driven away (and, if I stayed in the congregation, the opposite sex would be driven away and all die, even if the New Dark Ages came on time). And I would be forever with just plain men--and the knowledge that all the opposite sex's demise was my fault because I drove them away from the congregation.

Needless to say, I have zero to lose by practicing apostasy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit