Straight from the C.O.

by swa 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Heaven
    Heaven

Welcome, swa! I look forward to your story.

So, who really is the faithful and discreet slave?

And why does this matter so much to JWs?! My mind says "Who cares?!"

• sir82
    sir82

For the past year or so, the Watchtower study articles have largely replaced expressions containing "faithful and discreet slave" with "faithful and discreet slave and its Governing Body".

Anyone else notice that?

I suspect they are paving the way for (1) 144,000 is a symbolic number, and (2) "faithful and discreet slave" = Governing Body

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Sir82,

How can they make 144k symbolic? They teach only that number goes to heaven to rule from Heaven over an earthly class. How would they answer the question of who they will rule over- if the number is symbolic would it not cause confusion as to who is what?

• wobble
    wobble

The FDS of Jesus question is the individual who looks after Christs interests like a faithful steward.

In the U.K we have a comedian who uses a puppet in part of his act,the audience suspends belief and gets to like the puppet,at this point the comic proceeds to really bash the puppet,almost damaging his own hand, the audience "Oohs and Aahs" so the comic shouts "Its a PUPPET !" and you are back to reality.

I want to shout at all dumb dubs "Its a PARABLE !" There is no FDS . We can have those qualities,of a faithful steward, if we try.

Welcome SWA,looking forward to your story,and no doubt the story of others who cannot stomach the WBT$ as it gets more and more idolatrous towards the 9 old farts.

Love

Wobble

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Welcome.....

I bet he never even realised what he really said in his talk...

h4o

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Wobble, even IF the parable was speaking of a slave class to handle Jesus earthly affairs it certainly would NOT be the GB. False prophecies, or even if you only want to call them false predictions, are hardly discreet and take away faith...not build it.

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

Welcome swa!

The C.O. said during is second talk to the congregation "all of our food, our magazines, and all our wonderful books, and videos come from/through these 9 men"

A brief moment of honesty and perhaps a slip of the tongue...

Unfortunately, 99% of witnesses dont even know who these 9 are, yet show willingness to undergo all sorts of suffering and even die to uphold their doctrine!

Look forward to reading more of your postings

Lukewarm

• sir82
    sir82

How can they make 144k symbolic?

Quote from the February 15, 2015 Watchtower:

...Consider the context of Revelation chapter 14. It describes those in heaven as all men and as virgins. However, in the first century as well as today, women as well as men, married and single, have been anointed with holy spirit. Clearly the words "men" and "virgins" are symbolic, evidently inferring that the number of them is symbolic as well. Keep in mind, of course, that Jesus described this group as a "little flock". Their number, while having no maximum, is limited. Indeed, compared to the many millions of "other sheep" that are living and have lived on the earth, those anointed by holy spirit are comparatively few in number.
    In the past, some of Jehovah's Witnesses may have believed that the number 144,000 was to be taken literally. Such ones would do well to pray for a "heart of wisdom" as they adjust their viewpoint. How marvelous that Jehovah grants his servants on earth today such brilliant flashes of insight!
  • Jadeen
    Jadeen

I suspect they are paving the way for (1) 144,000 is a symbolic number, and (2) "faithful and discreet slave" = Governing Body

I never understood how they came up with 144,000 being a literal number. The very beginning of Rev. says that it was presented to John in signs and symbols. Oh, but 144,000, that's a real number. Yeah, whatever.

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

swa

A warm welcome to the boards - thanks for your first post. I'm new to the boards as well, having posted just a few times.

Maybe this speaker simply 'strayed' from his outline and said, 'off- the-cuff' what he wasn't supposed to reveal (at the present time) to the plebs?

Good for you, though, to be 'paying attention' not just listening to the words, but trying to get behind the import of his words!

If this is a typical situation, maybe the average JWs are in for a difficult few years. If this latest form of 'new light' fails to register and only slightly dazzles most of the flock into seeing what the latest changes mean to their religious structure, their attemp has met with success. Perhaps, extremely strict measures are about to be introduced to stifle even more any desire to stop and think, take stock and ask pertinent questions of the rulership, etc.?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit