Can we blame our ancestors for our own shortcomings?

by undercover 443 Replies latest jw friends

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

You suffered those things despite, not because of, being White; I suffered those things because I'm Black.

So, if racism didn't exist in America, all blacks would have a good upbringing and be successes in life?

• minimus
    minimus

Sylvia, did you ignore me?

• snowbird
    snowbird

Sylvia, Brother Farkel nailed it! What do you say? (Other than you're sorry he doesn't get it)?

I actually prefer Black to African-American, but African-American is in vogue now. It sounds good - just rolls off the tongue.

On the rare occasions when I tend to vaunt myself, it also serves as a reminder of whence I've come.

Sylvia

• John Doe
    John Doe

Some people in this country choose to live as victims. If I'm reincarnated, I want to come back as a black woman. Good lord just think of that gravy train!

• beksbks
    beksbks
    Bek, by now, you should know my answer.
    You suffered those things despite, not because of, being White; I suffered those things because I'm Black.
    Do you get the difference?

This is a very telling reply Sylvia. Despite being white? So it's an anomaly for a white person to have a shitty life? Bull. The bottom line, is that it doesn't change my personal experience of pain. And it doesn't give me a free pass to be a jerk.

And by now, you should know that I "get the difference".

One thing I have learned this week. No matter how much I might think I have a friend in a black person, I will always be one of "them".

• snowbird
    snowbird
    So, if racism didn't exist in America, all blacks would have a good upbringing and be successes in life?

They would certainly have a better shot at it!

Sylvia

• John Doe
    John Doe
    One thing I have learned this week. No matter how much I might think I have a friend in a black person, I will always be one of "them".

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Not every dark-skinned person thinks like this, beks. Based on the relationships I have had, Snow is the anomaly here.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    If I'm reincarnated, I want to come back as a black woman.

Here's hoping it's Harriet Tubman.

Sylvia

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Not every dark-skinned person thinks like this, beks. Based on the relationships I have had, Snow is the anomaly here.

Yeah. I can't imagine any of my other black friends talking or acting like her.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit