Can we blame our ancestors for our own shortcomings?

by undercover 443 Replies latest jw friends

• beksbks
    beksbks
    Jews were captured, shackled, and packed like sardines in vessels and shipped to a different country?
    Jews were ripped apart as families and members sold on auction blocks to the highest bidder?
    Jews were declared to be 3/5 of a person?
    Jews were denied the right to an education on pain of death?
    Jews were bred like livestock?
    Jewish males were brutally whipped, castrated, or killed for standing up for their families?

Yep and nailed to a stake to die

• undercover
    undercover
    Jews were captured, shackled, and packed like sardines in vessels and shipped to a different country?
    Jews were ripped apart as families and members sold on auction blocks to the highest bidder?
    Jewish males were brutally whipped, castrated, or killed for standing up for their families?
    I could go on and on, but I think you get it.

Wow...just fucking wow

Do you know anything about the Holocaust?

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Russians, Ukranians, Kazaks, Poles...the victims of genocide, victims of war and politics and policy...mass starvation, forced slavery in penal camps freezing to death, starving to death....and still rising up as productive cultures.

Blame is as blame does. If one looks for 'blame' then they are looking for justification or rationale on why they act in a negative way than they will find something somewhere to support that. Blame is also not allowed to be equal in our society either. A person who might claim that his torturous or murderous actions should be blamed on suffering by his ancestors has copped out and in fact would decry a 3rd generation alcoholic placing the blame for his addiction and subsequent drunk driving/manslaughter charge on his ancestors...when in fact, that 3rd generation alcoholic has a disease and his DNA genetically altered by that disease from prior generations. Ditto poverty. Ditto abuse.

We should accept that all people have suffered equally throughout history and no one people have suffered greater - learn from it, accept it, acknowledge it and move on because until we do, there can never be peace. sammieswife.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    None of these groups have been on American soil as long as the whiners in question have, none of these groups have been whining for 150 years for fact they refuse to assimilate into American culture, and none of these groups have had America bend-over-backwards more than the whiners in question have, and virtually NONE of these groups blame others for out-of-control crime, out-of-control illigetimacy, out-of-control racism and worse: rap music which glorifies murder, rape, cop-killing and mayhem.

I wonder if Ms. Sylvia has studied what happened to Japanese Americans after Pearl Harbor, when these American citizens were rounded up off of their property, taken from their businesses, and sent to concentration camps across the country. When was the last time you heard one of them whining?

• snowbird
    snowbird

Farkel, feel free to replace Jews/Jewish with any of the groups you've listed, and answer honestly.

And, who's whining? I'm stating facts.

Sylvia

• undercover
    undercover

Does the suffering of the group that you descended from somehow make your group better than any other group?
    No, but for the most part, it makes us more tolerant and forgiving of the mistakes of others - even those who were paramount in our mistreatment.

Damn, even in your denial your prejudice shows...

• snowbird
    snowbird

I am a student of History; that was my major before I dropped out of college.

I know about the Holocaust, the detention of Japanese-Americans, whatever else.

I also know who was responsible for such atrocities.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

Undercover, forgiveness was preached from the pulpit of every church I attended while growing up.

Unlike some, we tried to practice what was preached.

Sylvia

• undercover
    undercover
    We should accept that all people have suffered equally throughout history and no one people have suffered greater - learn from it, accept it, acknowledge it and move on because until we do, there can never be peace. sammieswife.

• snowbird
    snowbird

John Doe, I don't say anything I don't believe.

Now, shall we address your pathological craving for attention?

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit