Can we blame our ancestors for our own shortcomings?

by undercover 443 Replies latest jw friends

• beksbks
    beksbks

Jews

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Homosexuals

• undercover
    undercover
    Show me the group!

What difference does it make? Why does one groups suffering trump another groups suffering? Does the suffering of the group that you descended from somehow make your group better than any other group?

• snowbird
    snowbird

Jews were captured, shackled, and packed like sardines in vessels and shipped to a different country?

Jews were ripped apart as families and members sold on auction blocks to the highest bidder?

Jews were declared to be 3/5 of a person?

Jews were denied the right to an education on pain of death?

Jews were bred like livestock?

Jewish males were brutally whipped, castrated, or killed for standing up for their families?

I could go on and on, but I think you get it.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

Does the suffering of the group that you descended from somehow make your group better than any other group?

No, but for the most part, it makes us more tolerant and forgiving of the mistakes of others - even those who were paramount in our mistreatment.

Sylvia

• John Doe
    John Doe
    No, but for the most part, it makes us more tolerant and forgiving of the mistakes of others - even those who were paramount in our mistreatment.

Sylvia, you are one of the biggest liars here. Do you really believe the tripe you spew?

• Farkel
    Farkel

American Italians

American Germans

American Irish

My British Ancestors who were hunted, tortured, hated and imprisoned for their religious beliefs.

American Vietnamese

Japanese Americans

Native Americans

American Chinese

None of these groups have been on American soil as long as the whiners in question have, none of these groups have been whining for 150 years for fact they refuse to assimilate into American culture, and none of these groups have had America bend-over-backwards more than the whiners in question have, and virtually NONE of these groups blame others for out-of-control crime, out-of-control illigetimacy, out-of-control racism and worse: rap music which glorifies murder, rape, cop-killing and mayhem.

Farkel

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Though my Scottish ancestors lost their lands and their clan rights, though my Cherokee ancestors were driven from their land and treated brutally, I cannot point to those historical happenings as a reason for any misdeed that I may committ today. I have to accept what happened in the past. I can study it, learn about it, be upset about it even...but it has no direct impact on me today. What I do, what I think, how I act, how I am what I am is shaped by what happened to me personally and not what happened to my ancestors.

Amen.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Sylvia, you are one of the biggest liars here. Do you really believe the tripe you spew?

You, sir, are one of the biggest attention seekers here, so I guess that about evens things out for us.

Besides, it takes a liar to know one.

Sylvia

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Do you really believe the tripe you spew?

In case you missed the question.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit