Can we blame our ancestors for our own shortcomings?

by undercover 443 Replies latest jw friends

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Snow, i cannot believe you simply don't understand why it's wrong to blame someone's crimes on their ancestry. You're not even blaming it on his upbringing, which, in fact, would be much more reasonable, since a person's upbringing can explain a lot. But you're taking it to the extreme, and saying that a man abuses animals because his ancestors were abused by white men.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    However, I assert that what was done to our ancestors often has a direct bearing on how we live our lives.

Of course it does. But at what point do we have to set that aside and look forward? My grandparents picked cotton, my mother lived in a tent by the river, and got kicked out of school in the 6th grade for not saluting the flag. I lived with a violent alcoholic father, and a neurotic mother. I watched mom get beat 5 nights a week. I never wore anything that wasn't either home made, or came from The Rummage Hall (no shit, that's what it was called). I rarely went to a doctor, and didn't even know what a dentist was. We lived poor as hell, and I never ever ever felt good enough. So what? If I go out and slit my ex husbands throat, or abuse animals, or break any other laws, should I catch a break?

• minimus
    minimus

Sylvia, Brother Farkel nailed it! What do you say? (Other than you're sorry he doesn't get it)?

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I think outlaw is on to something with the convenience stores.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I also blame the manufacturer`s of Ice-Creme Treats!..

All I want is a simple waffle cone,with vanilla ice-creme,dipped in chocolate and sprinked with nuts!

You used to be able to get those anywhere..

Now it`s chocolate and vanilla ice-creme in the cone..Strawberry even,with a caramel topping!

Who puts caramel on top of strawberry-ice creme?!!

It`s a Culinarey Disaster I tell you!

I could go on,but I don`t want to sound Crazy!

..........................OUTLAW

• minimus
    minimus

Undercover, I like how you brought out all the players on this thread. You live up to your moniker.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    So what? If I go out and slit my ex husbands throat, or abuse animals, or break any other laws, should I catch a break?

Bek, by now, you should know my answer.

You suffered those things despite, not because of, being White; I suffered those things because I'm Black.

Do you get the difference?

Sylvia

• beksbks
    beksbks
    Who puts caramel on top of strawberry-ice creme?!!
    It`s a Culinarey Disaster I tell you!

I agree wholeheartedly Outlaw!!!

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    However, I assert that what was done to our ancestors often has a direct bearing on how we live our lives.

A fair point only if you are willing to apply it to other groups as well. If you believe only one group's past misery warrants special attention, than this is simply another form of prejudice.

• sir82
    sir82

White people is the devil I say!

Wait...I'm white.

Never mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit