New World Translation, is it the best bible translation?

by littlebuddy 177 Replies latest watchtower bible

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

To be honest, though dry I find the NWT a very good translation of the Hebrew OT and the vast majority of scholars that have made positive comments on it have baed it on the OT translation.

The NT translation is another matter.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

The NT translation is augmented by the knowledge and (rightful) reading in of the OT referents. The Holy Name Bible, Rotherham's, the Rotherham's Revised, and Lamsa's (which is according to the Eastern Text, translated from Original Aramaic Sources) concur, and often have even more uses of the name Jehovah (or its equivalent) than even the NWT.

Of course, the NWT Reference Bible is more authentic and complete than the regular NWT is (which is lacking the footnotes and appendices). It is highly recommended that the regular NWT be expanded to include what the NWT Reference Bible has, regardless of type point-size.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

the words authentic, and NWT do not belong in the same sentence together..being the antithesis of each other.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

stating something doesn't make it so.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

agreed spike, as you have also done....

let's start off with 237 minstranslations off the bat...the adding of the name Jehovah.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

I agree with Psac, though...A pretty good OT translation....except for a few glaring mistranslations...such as calling wisdom in Prov 8 "It" instead of 'she"

such as the additon of "apostate" in prov as opposed to reviler...to build fear in its captives

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Spike,

Augmenting the BACKGROUND of the NT with the OT is just fine, REPLACING the meanings on the New Covenant with the meaning of the Old one is not.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

what proof do you have of THAT, Paul?

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

the fact that the NWT takes out the name Jesus and then the GB inserts itself as the only channel of truth leading to God.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

My question was for Paul, Isaac.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit