Has there been a JW Facebook directive?

by Gregor 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Gregor
    Gregor

or is it just the usual internet cautions?

I have an JW aunt who abruptly de activated her FB account yesterday.

• thebigdebate
    thebigdebate

I dont know but my mom removed a few DF'd people just a couple of weeks ago. They have been her friends on there for a long time.

• startingovernow
    startingovernow

thebigdebate,

For some reason that me me laugh!

• Dagney
    Dagney

I dunno.

I have three requests to be FB friends from JW's. The last just this week from a missionary. Very cute pic at a convention, with their badges and all.

I will not accept. They can reach me via email if they wish. FB is a new life chapter with new friends, mostly from JWD/JWN.

• Gregor
    Gregor

My mother and I have been through so many hot/cold flashes with my aunt and uncle we just go with the flow. After something triggers them to shun, time passes and then my mother gets a phone call from her sister and everything is warm and fuzzy for a while. Sometimes this goes on a year or two and then the chill comes and so forth.

• elder-schmelder
    elder-schmelder

I have noticed a few "active" JW that have removed some "inactive" JW's.

elder-schmelder

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

There are so many JWs on Facebook it's like dubland all over again. However, most of the ones I see are sort of fringers themselves... not really inactive, but still full-on Dubbers with just bad habits like boozing and having a good time. There's starting to be a lot of more main-line Dubs, though. I think it might be getting so big and diverse the Society won't come down hard on it. But you never know. Never understimate the Society when it comes to draconian policies. Their chief concern is probably young kids that get on there and flirt with others, and to be stupid teenagers.

• cantleave
    cantleave

No directive as such, but council regarding the dangers, not recently but the "drip drip" approach. As always some will take this to mean "get rid of your facebook account", others will yake a more reasonable stance.

• dinah
    dinah

They prolly asked a crapload of leading questions, then asked "Is facebook really for Christians" or some similar bullshit.

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

I don't know but I sure wish they would condemn it so my damn annoying JW relatives would feel guilty and get off the internet already. They love to spy on me, and finally I had to delete our connections, which caused hurt feelings. I told my parents I did not need to fuel their fire and if they have questions about my life they are welcome to ask me themselves, not use my facebook account as a means to dig up dirt on me (and as you know it's easy to dig up dirt on someone living a non-JW life since so much is against the JW's!).

I have been kind about it but firm, and then refused to talk about it. They have had no choice other than to be respectful. Sometimes it makes me wonder if having the facebook account is even worth it!

Rachel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit