Has there been a JW Facebook directive?

by Gregor 17 Replies latest jw friends

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

goddess, I know how you feel. I've gotten several requests from people who, not only do I not consider them my friend, but are ultra-straight-arrow Dubs who i wouldn't trust as far as I could throw em.

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

Daniel,

I would always recommend that you ignore any friend requests from truly faithful JW's - you can't trust them! UGH!

It's much easier to ignore the initial request than to deal with repercussions of deleting the connection later. Trust me.

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

It'll probably be in a "Young People Ask..." thing. "Should true Christians use social networking?"

• BeBeKates
    BeBeKates

I was wondering about this too, I see many younger ones including my son who refuses to let me see the grandbabies. He spends all time camping and racing cars, no service, no meetings, no mention of Dubville on the profile. Funny , I thought you had to declare your allegiance at all junctions? Guess it's just an online rave party....

• 10p
    10p

LOL - Here's an excerpt from the wall of an old JW friend of mine :

Ethan xxxxxx is shutting down his facebook account in a weeks time.

November 30, 2008 at 1:30pm · Comment ·

Ethan xxxxxxx is still going to shut down his facebook page. new date for shutdown Dec 17.

December 11, 2008 at 3:25am · Comment

Ethan xxxxxx Has finally shut down his account. My personal email is [email protected] if you need to get in touch. All the best to you all.

December 28, 2008 at 3:32am · Comment ·

Ethan xxxxx reckons that love handles are the new six pack! Yeah baby Yeah!

June 22 at 2:59pm · Comment ·

Michelle ------------s Hi Ethan - you're back ! How are things your end?

June 23 at 9:05am

Kayla ------- Hmm. I strongly remember a certain someone being strongly against FB. What happened to that??

June 25 at 8:35am · Comment ·

Ethan xxxxxxx How else am I going to keep tabs on you? Plus it is just too hard to keep in contact with all my family so here I am.

June 25 at 9:14am

• Desilusionnee
    Desilusionnee

I don't know if it was an official directive, but all I know is that at the April convention the DO "demonised" FB and said it was trash. Then he said ¦ "the young people among us know what I'm talking about. If parents don't know, it's better not to try to know what it is" or smthg like that. So elderly and people afraid of using Internet (and there are more than one believes) are afraid of Fb without knowing what it is about.

It's all about fear,

Desi

• FreeAtLast1914
    FreeAtLast1914

I've had FB issues with JW family myself. Some fear it like the plague. Others use it with no problem. I doubt there's been an official ban, but give it time. I put nothing beyond the GB when it comes to controlling their flock.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I can usually guess/predict how they'll spin things but I can't figure out how they'll try to sell an all-out ban. What's more likely is that they will make it like college or playing organized sports. If you do it you have no privileges but you can't be DFd for it.

On the other hand, there are a lot of self-employed elders who use social networking sites to maintain client relationships. They're going to be tough to sell on closing the account.

It will probably end up the typical Dub rule thing where those who innocently and blindly follow the Borg will avoid FB like the plague and those with half a brain will find a loophole and keep their account.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit