Somewhere to stay between San Francisco and Las Vegas?

by sweet pea 15 Replies latest jw friends

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

A friend of mine is travelling from San Francisco to Las Vegas next March and is looking for a great place to stay en-route for a night. Where would you suggest? They were considering Yosemite but the road in will be closed when they are travelling. They are also thinking of Bakersfield as it has some great places to eat apparently. What do you think?

Grateful for any suggestions.

• tinker
    tinker

I'm not sure of the route but if they could take the coast south, WOW, many many wonderful, Places You Must See before you die! San Simion, Hearst Castle area is wonderful. I have staying in many little motels in and around there. Big Sur - OMG everyone must see. Just encourage them to drive the coast at least some before they cut inland. Most of the seaside motels are fine and cozy.

Bakersfield = Good food ??? not so much, eek!

• beksbks
    beksbks

Bakersfield is a pit.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Actually, why not head straight from Vegas to Santa Barbara. Stay there, it's a destination in and of itself.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo, maybe. Bakersfield? you kidding me?

• zarco
    zarco

Your friend might want to stay somewhere in Big Sur or the Monterey area. Very beautiful. It is only a couple of hours south of SF but worth staying. Then drive a long day to Las Vegas the next day. Bakersfield is a hell hole.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Warning about Big Sur -- that portion of coastal Highway 1 is very windy and slow. It's very beautiful, but it will take a significant portion of time out of a day's driving, and may not be best.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

If it's a two day trip between San Francisco and Vegas there really isn't much to choose from. Definitely not Bakersfield, though that would be on the route. If they're looking for something a bit scenic on that route, I'd suggest Tehachapi. It's up in the mountains between the San Joaquin Valley and the Mojave Desert. It's nothing special but is a nice place to spend the night on such a trip. The other possible route would be to go through Reno and down through the Nevada desert to Vegas. Not much there either, aside from Reno, possibly. If you like Nevada desert towns you could consider Hawthorne or Tonopah for a night stop. I wouldn't, but there isn't much to chose from on the Nevada route. :)

If they have more time, I'd suggest they consider going through the LA area on the way to Vegas. There's loads of things to do in LA.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Bakersfield is "it" if you want something completely on the path. It's the jumping off point between NorCal and LV, is a real city so has all the necessities of civilization (chain hotels, McDonalds, etc.). But if you want to take a day and smell the roses on the way:

Disneyland. Santa Monica. These two aren't really on the way, but if you want to do/see something as part of the layover...

Santa Barbara is a nice layover, but like Disneyland is best enjoyed with a day to itself, and it's off the path.

If you just desperately want to get closer to Vegas, there's Baker. But really if Bakersfield isn't exactly a destination, neither is Baker - it's a small town of last resort for weary travellers, like Bakersfield, only out in the desert. Avoid Arne's Grand Hawaiian Hotel.

I'd go for Santa Monica - walk the promenade, put your feet in the beach, there's a variety of places to stay. It's out of your way, true, but makes for a nice break. Brave the LA traffic and enjoy a restful evening. And you won't feel like you're missing anything if you only stay the night.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

If ya need manuevering through L.A., I can help. I've lived here in this miserable excuse for a freeway system all my life

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit