Do You Think Most People Are Prejudiced ----Black, White, Red, etc.???

by minimus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I bought a little doll for my granddaughter, a little black baby. She LOVES it. My SIL was disturbed and when he tried to take it she said, "MY BABY!!!"

I've seen my granddaughter suddenly cry when she has seen a very dark skinned man. Is she prejudiced???

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I know I'm not but pardon me for saying so Minamus but, I tire of your poor white trash questions!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I loose my Tan every Winter..By spring I`m absolutely White..

Winters worry me..I don`t trust Whitey!!..

.....................LOL!!...OUTLAW

• undercover
    undercover

I think there's a difference between prejudice and racism.

Racism is the belief that one race is superior to another. Prejudice is prejudging, or believing, something about a group of people based on certain charateristics of the group...and it doesn't have to center around race.

I think that most people are prejudiced in one manner or another, but that most people are not racist.

I think we all stereotype to a certain degree as well. We see people dress a certain way, act a certain way, live a certain way and we lump them into a category of people that we may or may not hold in high esteem.

Racism is wrong, but prejudice and stereotyping while wrong in a lot of cases, it could in certain circumstances, serve as a self-defense mechanism.

It's hard to explain, but as an example...if you see a group of young men, dressed in clothes known to be associated with gangs and hoods and they're hanging around a dark street corner, you should be wary and avoid crossing their path. There's no way to know for certain that they're thugs or hoods, but we've seen enough to know that it ain't worth taking a chance. We stereotyped and were prejudiced against that group of men without knowing a thing about them. In that case, prejudice and stereotyping was a means to possibly help protect us from harm.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    Racism is the belief that one race is superior to another. Prejudice is prejudging, or believing, something about a group of people based on certain charateristics of the group...and it doesn't have to center around race.
    I think that most people are prejudiced in one manner or another, but that most people are not racist.
    I think we all stereotype to a certain degree as well. We see people dress a certain way, act a certain way, live a certain way and we lump them into a category of people that we may or may not hold in high esteem.

Great points Undercover. There needs to be a distinction between Racism and Prejudice. Both require further education to manage, but it is essential that this is done.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I have my opinions but the most unprejudiced person I know is my hubby Shawn. Shawn will talk to anyone and make friends with anyone who is receptive, doesn't matter the color. The man just loves people and attracts them like flies. I love it cuz he's such a good example for me and my kids. I think that's one of the reasons he loves California, because of the diversity.

• beksbks
    beksbks

It's one of the reasons I love California too Josie.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Beks!! Good morning Girlfriend

I love cool Cali mornings...before the heat comes lol

Josie

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

The town I live in is roughly 9% African-American, 20% Hispanic, with the rest almost entirely composed of Caucs. I have close friends in each of these ethnic groups, and am married to a Latina, so consider myself to be something of an authority on this subject. Also, I work at the local hospital, so am in pretty much constant contact with the people in this town.

So, imagine this, I'm walking down the street in the town I live and up ahead I see a group of young men walking towards me. As they get closer I realize that they are Hispanic, so what do I do? Nothing, I keep on walking.

I keep walking and up ahead I see another group walking towards me. This group is composed of young black men. What do I do? Nothing, I keep on walking.

I continue my little stroll down the street and up ahead I see a third group coming my way. These are a group of young white guys from the town I live in. What do I do? I probably get a little nervous because I've had some bad experiences with this same group in this place I live. Is it because they are simply worse people than the 2 minority groups that I've already seen? I don't think so. Is it because I've had run-ins with young white men in this town? Maybe. Have I had run-ins with whites more often in this town, simply because the odds are that I would due to the fact that there are more whites than blacks or Hispanics in this town. Possibly.

Am I, a white man, racist in any way? I certainly hope not. I try very hard to give everybody the benefit of the doubt regardless of what they look like, the language they speak, or who they like to sleep with.

I beleive I can go to sleep tonight with a good conscience

• The Berean
    The Berean

Judging by where people choose to live and raise their families I must decidedly say yes ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit