Do You Think Most People Are Prejudiced ----Black, White, Red, etc.???

by minimus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• beksbks
    beksbks

Hello Gumby! I don't really know you, but I love you. I've read some of your story.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    Forsure I think Obama is!!!

Really? How's that?

• beksbks
    beksbks

I think we often have preconceived notions about people. Mostly according to what we have been exposed to. Many people have not had personal experience with those of another race, and so their opinion comes from what they see in the media.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I think I am not racially biased, but I tend to feel more comfortable among people of similar race to myself - so I guess deep down -yes - I have shades of prejudice - no pun intended

• Mary
    Mary
    Hello Gumby! I don't really know you, but I love you. I've read some of your story.

Everybody luvs Gumbers......Now ask for Minimus' question, I'm only prejudice against red dottie men.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Mary I think dottie is the point there

• JeffT
    JeffT

There are two kinds of people in the world: people that divide people into groups and people that don't.

• journey-on
    journey-on

No. I don't think MOST are, but some are. In recent years, I see more blacks prejudiced against whites than the reversed. I think (in America anyway) there is more political prejudice than anything. Liberal Democrats vs. Conservative Republicans. Us Moderates are caught in between and are always having to referee.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    Us Moderates are caught in between and are always having to referee.

Gee does the liberal side ever win when you are the ref?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Minimus, I think human nature is to want complete and total fairness for ourselves and those closest to us. Not wanting to be hypocrits would then make us want complete and total fairness for everyone, right? Sadly, we humans are notoriously blind to our own hypocrisy. We tend to see things, wrongly, as zero sum games, where someone has to lose for us to win.

And then, beyond the above, there are always degrees of tilt to that "level" playing field: Even the fair minded ego wants the individual to maintain a slight (or not so slight) leg up, and to be able to tell themselves that they got that leg up through their own awesomeness and if those other people want that same leg up they should just decide to be awesome too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit