Satan- Perfect Scapegoat for Witnesses Ignoring Real Causes of Situations

by flipper 48 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

In a recent thread I started on music I couldn't help noticing how many had to throw their alleged " worldly music " out because parents, or elders told them their music brought them " under the influence of demons ", or listening to music was how " the demons got inside us ". This superstitious belief that " Satan " is to blame for each witnesses demise is really a passing of the buck of responsibility so it sidesteps real issues involved.

For example : Check these familiar expressions out we all heard while we were Jehovah's Witnesses .

1. If a person was stumbled and said, " I don't want to go to meetings anymore. " The person was told , "that's what Satan wants you to think" thus shifting the blame to Satan for a negative situation that occurred ! Instead of dealing with the actual offense.

2. If something negative is reported in the news media about the WT society witnesses are told , " Satan controls the world and the news that is reported so don't listen to it. " So, once again witnesses close their minds to the actual situations happening which would enlighten them to the truth of what is really going on !

3. Any illness a witness would have , financial trouble , marriage problems, whatever negative situation would come up, many times " Satan " was the culprit to blame for our problems . It couldn't have been our own poor judgment or decisions - it was Satan !

So as witnesses did you notice this happening a lot with people you knew ? Did you see different situations , perhaps even mundane things in which people would shift blame to Satan nstead of dealing with the situation ? As always I look forward to your experiences ! Thanks, Peace out to all, Mr. Flipper

• White Dove
    White Dove

Flipper,

You hit the nail on the head with this one! I'd answer now, if I could, that they must be spiritually weak to believe that JH couldn't protect them from Satan's attacks. Look how easily he penitrates JH's protective barriers! The way they talk of JH's protection and blessing makes it sound like nothing could happen to them and they should come into a wad of dough.

• dinah
    dinah

Ya know, Flipper, I never realized how much control "satan" had over me until I woke up from the dub mindset.

#2 is the most dangerous, imho. The devil is out to get only the witnesses because they are the only approved religion. All the trouble in the Catholic Church is real. The Dateline program and lawsuits against the WT for molestation...........Satan hates the Witnesses and will do anything he can to make them look bad.

When you stand back and look at that objectively, it looks quite sinister.

• flipper
    flipper

WHITE DOVE- Good points you make. The witnesses really do act like they live in a fantasy land of Jehovah's protection- like nothing would EVER happen to them because of His protection. But reality dictates differently. It's almost like the fact that JW's blame Satan for all their woes seems to make them excuse what they themselves do ! It's almost should I dare say, narcissistic on their part . Weird.

DINAH- Yeah, good point. Exactly. The Catholics have real problems, but Satan causes witnesses problems because they are being " persecuted " by the media to make them look bad ! I actually had a former friend of mine, a JW , tell me on the phone that very thing when I brought up one reason I don't go to the meetings anymore. I stated , " I read in the newspaper that the witnesses settled a child abuse lawsuit. " He wouldn't let me finish and interrupted me and said, " Anything you heard was wrong. The news media is controlled by Satan and they'll use any opportunity to put Jehovah's Witnesses down . They are always talking bad about us. " So definitely the witnesses have a persecution complex- and I believe a Satan complex as well. Weirdos

• dinah
    dinah

It is my opinion that Satan only has the power (fear) you give him.

If your trying to get to the meeting and your car won't start, it's Satan trying to keep you from getting your spiritual food.

If your trying to get to work and the car won't start, it's Jehovah giving you an opportunity to catch a ride and go door knocking.

Once you step back and look at it, it looks crazy as hell.

• flipper
    flipper

DINAH- I agree. " Satan " only has power over those who give him power in their lives. If they are afraid. It's the perfect alibi for all witnesses to blame Satan for even a hangnail ripping ! You are right- it is totally crazy as a burning hell ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I knew some JW's that had a few minor problems at home- they heard some noise, something broke, stuff like that.
    They determined that it was demonism in the used couch they purchased.

When I tried to tell my mother something about the pedophile issues with JW's, she just stated that you cannot believe anything the media says about JW's because Satan controls the media.

• oompa
    oompa

and how did they come up with objects being demonized?....or did someone else do that?....i mean what does a demon get out of morphing with a bowling ball in the closet?......i mean i could maybe understand a dildo or condom.....but in the bible only living beings were possessed......

and your points are all great flipper....it also leads to less accountability.....you screw up and can blame it on satan.......oompa

• The Berean
    The Berean

I agree with your premise. While it certainly applies in the usage of Satan by the shallow, it seems to me that many people attempt to vilify individual sources rather than examining the issue in totality. Take the case of Sadam Husane. Americans demanded his head as if he was the cause of hatred toward the US. But, of course, he wasn't the real problem, only a representative of the issues. JWs are like many ... Too lazy or unwilling to study an entire matter before assigning responsbility. Unbiased examination might require action, and status quo is all many want ...

• flipper
    flipper

OTWO- It's amazing how witnesses blame Satan for ANY negative feedback they hear about the organization. Even in newspapers. Yep, Satan controls the media, yeah right. And he controls some peoples furniture.

OOMPA- Yeah, probably demons get more of a ride out of inhabiting a condom or dildo than a bowling ball . We were told they like sex . LOL! But yes- all the witnesses use old Satan as a scapegoat. Poor Satan .

THE BEREAN- Very true. People are quick to jump to judgment without examining all the facts of certain matters. Then many times as a copout they will say, " Oh- it's probably Satan or the demons. " Easiest thing to say if something is odd and they don't understand it ! Weird

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit