What woke you up to the WTS?

by megaflower 31 Replies latest jw friends

• yknot
    yknot

...as far as what stopped me from 'waiting on Jehovah' and realizing 1914,1918-1919 was pure fiction...

In my ''eagerness'' to click onto the WT.org I mis-clicked onto JWD on August 23, 2007. Terry's post caught my attention and I came back the next day (without JWs next to me) to read the rest of the thread. Afterwards it was having the opportunity to download and read in private the older publications that opened up my eyes fully.

Had it not been for those PDFs .... I would probably still believe they were 'appointed'.

• wobble
    wobble

I first realised that the doctrine of 1914 was rubbish,but continued for a number of years in the mistaken belief that as God's name was on the borg he would sort them out. (Dumb I know,but I was born in)

When "What does the bible really teach" came to be the book of choice to study with people I stopped F.S ,unable to agree that the Bible taught 1914.

For a long time I was able to put off a shepherding call,but eventually I was cornered, and I left the Elder who called with the task of coming back to me to prove 1914,he has not returned.

I then found Greg Staffords site "Elihu books" and was delighted to find I was not alone in my belief that 1914 was bunkum,from there I found JWN and slowly it dawned on me that ALL of the unique doctrines of the WBT$ are total manure.

I finally could not stomach the GB/FDS standing in the place of Jesus Christ, so the meeting after the memorial of 2008 was my last.

As I said on another thread, isn't it so different ,the truth about why we have left,to the picture drawn by the liars of the WT, they would have it that we leave to pursue a sinfull lifestyle or a materialistic one,the truth is we have all left for different,but valid , reasons, that all show something wrong with the JW religion,not with us !

Love

Wobble

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Funny enough I had decided that I was going to become a stronger witness that year as I had been slipping a bit and I really wanted to make the truth my own. So I started an indepth study of the bible, if something was quoted in a publication I looked it up, I looked up the meaning of the greek and hebrew words (got myself a dictionary) Got a greek and hebrew bible - all to become stronger in the faith.

When things didn't start adding up and I started finding fissures in the doctrine I decided it was time to stop being spoon fed by a group of old men 10 000 miles away who knew sweet blow all about me.

The rest is history.

• Heaven
    Heaven

As a teenage girl, reading the "Your Youth" book made me question a lot, specifically why the responsibility for sexual properness was placed squarely on the shoulders of the girls (2 paragraphs for boys, 4 pages for girls!... what?!). Around that same time, there was an article in one of the magazines (I believe) on how I had to, as a woman, live in subjugation of my husband. I knew myself well enough to know I would never be able to do this. I wanted a soulmate and a partner, not a dictator/master for a husband. I also felt that the WTS interpretations did not align with what I thought certain scriptures meant (eg. their no birthdays policy -- they totally missed the moral on what happened to John the Baptist).

As time went on, more and more things occurred. I could see the contradictions, the flip-flops, and the un-Biblical nature of the WTS doctrines. Luckily, my parents wanted us all to 'get jobs' so we left to go to school. None of us kids joined.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

well, I left at 14/15...but still beleived it and would have ended up back in. The nearness of the end was in the back of my mind and the fear built as the 1914 generation got older and older...76.77.78.79.80....sooo close....until 11/95. This simply told me the WT was nothing special and had no special insights...and that no one knew when the end was coming so I might as well move on. However, it didn't actually hit me a sa false prophecy until years later...then years later as I researched the org in depth everything came out.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Although I had some doubts I really started questioning the picking & choosing of select scriptures, especially in Leviticus, tattoos & beards... There was a previous thread about this. Then there was the observance of them, since I usually took care of sound, you could see that everything was so predictable, as if it were rehearsed.

I soon began researching their beliefs on the web and found Randy's site which led me here. What a mindf*ck it was to go to the "best of" section read all th BS about the religion. Then "poof!" my eyes were wide open. I still can't believe it.

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

Even after the lack of love, the bad influences, the contradictory people I found in many of the congregations I attended, I still believed.

What shook me was finding out about the UN deal. That shook me right down to the core. Then I slowly started peeling back the slices of "truth" and found a core of evil, lying,malicious group of men controlling the whole deal. When I found the Quotes websites, I devoured all of the information I could find. Then I found Freeminds and that helped ease the pain and started to learn that true Christianity never disappeared (or that Russell revived it). When I finally read CofC, I felt at ease with my Creator, knowing that I could have a personal relationship with God and Jesus.

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

As is the case with lots of Witnesses, I noticed problems for years, but pushed them to the back burner. My reasoning was that these were imperfect men, it's a wicked system, the light gets brighter, and where else are you going to go! Of course, this line of reasoning is based on a faulty premise--that the Watchtower was chosen by God to be his earthly organization.

If I can point to one thing that woke me up, it was this: http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/Sections/TVNews/Nightly%20News/2007/11-Nov/statement.pdf . This is the press release put out by the Watchtower in 2007, after the child sex abuse settlements were reported on NBC News.

I was already shocked that the WTS had settled the cases. I recognize that an out-of-court settlement is not an admission of liability. But the WTS has a long track record of vigorously and successfully defending itself in court. Thus, with that history, it is reasonable to conclude that the WTS would have fought the cases if it was not at fault.

I was also shocked at my own initial reaction to the news. My first reaction was 'oh no, this is going to make the org/Jehovah look bad.' Then I stopped myself and was ashamed that my first reaction was not one of sadness for the victims and disgust toward the perpetrators. And then I started to think about what caused my first reaction be a concern about the organization's reputation.

Then when I read the statement linked above, I was even more dismayed. It was so deceptive, particularly this portion: "During the last 100 years, only nine elders have been sued for child abuse in eleven lawsuits filed in the United States." First, the modern elder arrangement has only been in place since the 1970s, not 100 years. Also (and more importantly), the statement only relates to elders being sued. This does not include elders that are prosecuted for a crime.

I think your average reader does not readily distinguish the difference between (1) an prosecution and (2) a lawsuit. But in the case of a crime (such as abuse), there are many more instances of prosecution than lawsuits. In other words, few victims of crimes sue the perpetrators--they may go to the police and they may testify in a criminal trial, but they do not typically sue their perpetrators in civil court.

(The OJ Simpson case is an exception that proves the rule. There was the criminal trial where OJ was acquitted, but then there was a civil case where the Goldmans sued OJ for money damages. This is a rare occurrence, which was borne out by how the news media was constantly explaining the difference between the two trials.) Thus, I felt that the WTS was being terribly deceptive and deliberately minimizing the problem.

This realization allowed me to ask the question: is the FDS/Society/GB what it claims to be? It did not take long for the house of cards to fall.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    Then when I read the statement linked above, I was even more dismayed. It was so deceptive, particularly this portion: "During the last 100 years, only nine elders have been sued for child abuse in eleven lawsuits filed in the United States." First, the modern elder arrangement has only been in place since the 1970s, not 100 years. Also (and more importantly), the statement only relates to elders being sued. This does not include elders that are prosecuted for a crime.
    I think your average reader does not readily distinguish the difference between (1) an prosecution and (2) a lawsuit. But in the case of a crime (such as abuse), there are many more instances of prosecution than lawsuits. In other words, few victims of crimes sue the perpetrators--they may go to the police and they may testify in a criminal trial, but they do not typically sue their perpetrators in civil court.

Olin, please also consider the number of victims who were coerced by the elders into saying nothing to anyone, waiting on Jehovah, so as not to tarnish the name of God's earthly organization. There are probably tens of thousands for whom this is the case.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

The mind control was never quite strong enough for me to buy into the B.S in the Revelation book, particularly the "trumpet blasts" being conventions in the 1920s.

It was 607 that broke the dam.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit