What woke you up to the WTS?

by megaflower 31 Replies latest jw friends

• megaflower
    megaflower

I was in service one day and the sister I was working with said," I will start to enjoy life once the new system comes". Sirens went off in my head. Basically, she was saying she was miserable but would wait till the new system to have any happiness. I thought, we are suppose to worship a Happy God yet, we are miserable. This cannot be right. This was the beginning of the fog lifting and I found JWD and started to do research.

• lurk3r
    lurk3r

As a young boy at the bookstudy, I noticed that often times publications would quote "outside sources". I thought, " if they are using parts of these sources, then why isn't the rest of what they say true?".

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

It was an accumulation of things over time. From the get go though, it was puzzling to me why so many good people must die for Jehovah to accomplish something so good.

• Babies not being resurrected if they didn't breathe upon birth and people not marrying on earth, in the ressurrection were also suspect. The reasoning made little sense and seemed contrived.
    • Over time the burdensome load the governing body placed on the flock didn't jibe with what Jesus said about his yoke being kindly and light.
    • The love shown among Jehovah's Witnesses was not consistent from cong. to cong. It was glaringly lacking in some places.
    • The whole philosophy the GB encouraged was more like that of the Pharisees than it was Christ-like.

Then it was very clear that individualty was frowned on. The micro-management of the flock made this more and more clear as the brothers found more and more to manage amongst the flock.

I also felt that the GB was unrealistic about children and their enjoyment of life. Some of the holiday banning was just too hard to swallow. It seemed the GB wanted to remove anything enjoyable for adults and especially kids. Even "large" gatherings were frowned on, including cong. picnics, etc.

Finally, the insistence of husbands being the heads in everything, even if they were running wives and kids into terrible problems. The headship abuse was horrible for many families.

• flipper
    flipper

MEGAFLOWER- Good point. I bet that WAS an eye opener for you. My elder dad used to say something similar to me growing up as a witness. He'd quote Jesus , " After we have done all things say we are good for nothing slaves, what we have done is what we ought to have done. " And I'm like , " Yeah, well, can't I be happy WHILE I do it ? Is there any ENJOYMENT in going out in service or meetings, etc ? " I felt don't I get a brownie button or a damned cookie or something ? It was like we needed to be satisfied that we WERE NOT appreciated. Terminally weird.

But what really woke me up to the WTS was the injustices I suffered at the hands of the elders and watching other people being mistreated as well by abuse of authority by the elders. That was my breaking point. I've got a justice streak a mile long- I couldn't take it anymore. Now I'm free and happy ! Life is good. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Thy Kingdom Come - this book opened my eyes to the shit they taught and that was the book that started my investigation into WT$, the rest is history :)

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Their "deep prophecy/prophet" books always made me raise a bit of eyebrow. I wondered where they came up with some of the answers to symbolism, since they weren't claiming to be phrophets, but only inspired. The Revelation Climax book really did that, made suspicious claim to the key of unlocking the symbolism of Revelation. Some of it was kind of silly.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

FHN's first post pretty much sums it up for me. I will add that I found the elder arrangement to be a sham. They were supposed to be a help to us, gifts in men, a hiding place from the storm and a refreshment. When I talked to someone from Bethel over the phone explaining how the elders were hurting rather than helping I got a snotty, "What are you talking to them for?"

That was my last day as a JW.

• caliber
    caliber

I was raised in a fairly loving (not perfect by any means ) but we has closeness , trust and love for each other, we cared

about each other. . Being far from a wealthy family when the Witness came with the idea of the extension of this

loving family arrangement over the entire earth.. this was indeed good news.

It took year and years of exposure to reveal a lack of love because you always tried to make allowance

for human imperfection. While the WT expects you to recognize their headship over you... they failed to follow this same

principle... Elder will not consult with a father in regard to his headship over his family , in their arrogance

they will precede with action against your children or teens without so much as a word of consultation.

This opened the door to see the service to the WT was everything.... that salvation was to be based on grace

not obedience to man made rules and service time.

This opened yet another door the whole concept of the appointment by God in 1918-1919 .

(1) lack of true heartfelt love

(2) arrogance once you're hooked, to expect absolute unchallenged obedience to mere men

(3) Almost total lack of love or respect for anyone or any institution outside the WT

(4) The appointment in 1919 was totally full of holes once you "allowed " your mind the freedom to explore it !

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

The bigger concern about what the cong looked like to outsiders than how cruel or ridiculous it seemed to those inside.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

Corruption from the Top all the way down to the bottom rungs namely the elders.

Gods only solemn organization my ass !

Too much of an over abundance of bullshit thats for most part is unnecessary,

men with the power of god in their hands can realistically make for a whole lot of trouble.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit