Mental Illness with Jehovah's Witnesses

by Hope4Others 67 Replies latest watchtower medical

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

You can checkout any time you like,
    But you can never leave!

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

My last few years with the JWs was full of depression. The last couple, really bad. My then wife wanted me to get pills for it and i refused. How did i recover?

I left the JWs and her.

The guilt of being a sinner, the being reminded that i am a worm, that i deserve nothing, the belief 'miserable man that i am' tore me down. When i left and realized that i was actually a good bloke, a decent human being and did not have to engage in futile preaching or boring meetings anymore, that i could draw and paint whatever i liked, that i could find love again, that i could actualy live,

it vanished

Oz

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

yeah ... just read wha happened's posts

• Lieu
    Lieu

No. Hope4others makes good points about the pressures many families face, and then the keeping up meetings and field service. It can all get too much. You never feel good enough, always inferior. Even when you try to improve, its not enough. Go to therapy and you're told you shouldnt do it because you might be taught unscriptural and worldly thinking. Its like being caught between a rock and a hard place. What do you do?

Some in the congregation still believe that mental illness can be fixed by just witnessing more, studying more, and making sure you're at every meeting. No, it goes deeper than that.

Exactamundo. Anyone who has worked with large groups in say agencies or has supervised a large number of employees knows that continuously telling poeple under your care that enough is never enough, will drag them down.

Some seem not to understand, you can certainly depress the heck out of perfectly normal people. Just throw on an overbearing load of tasks, tell them they aren't ever good enough, advise them to do "more", policy: if a problem arises simply ignore it and busy yourself w/work, and lastly say there's a "real soon" timeframe to get the work done. You will crush their spirits ... easily.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Aussie Oz....

• zagor
    zagor

I've seen a lot of it in my own experiece with jws, so I'm not surprised

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

little gem from a JW facebook group

Name removed wrote 9 hours ago

You will all know me in the new system. I will be the one with a mirriead of Horses following me. I have given up much and gained pleanty. I know that now is not the time for farming and critter raising, with my physical/mental diseases/disorders. So I am patient.

Not being cruel but, gee, it would probably HELP her to raise 'critters' you know.

oz

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

still this topic going strong..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit